Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just De-fretted my old Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juneau, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Maybe this belongs in basses, not setup, but since this is where I read all the info on de-fretting, figured here was appropriate. Feel free to move it mods if you think it would better fit elsewhere.

Hey folks, I just wanted to thank you all for the great de-fretting threads here and also thank Pete and Ron of Skjold Design for their help in making sure I got the job done right.

Here is a pic of the board with the slots filled with maple:
    [​IMG]

And here is a video of Pete showing me what it can do now hehe. Im glad I caught this video, Id have never been able to do it justice, at least for a while. The video is 35MBs, sorry about the size. And my digital camera wasnt exactly made to record these frequencies at this volume, but it didn't come out badly at all I don't think.

Pete Skjold on my (now) Fretless Ibanez GSR200

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    P.S. Pete and Ron helped me as a personal favor. They do not do this kind of thing as part of their business. They build em right, so they don't have to be modified later hehe. Please don't go asking how much they'll charge you to do the same thing or stuff like that, because the answer is likely, they won't :D

3. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    How are you likin' the newly defretted Ibanez?

I've got the exact same model and the frets are seriously worn down on mine from hard use, so I was thinking of doing the same thing. It's good to know that somebody has defretted this exact same bass. My only worry was that it might not sound very good as a fretless.

Craig

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    To me, it sounds 10x better as a fretless than it ever did fretted. It did take some work, but it was well worth it. Check out the video if you want to hear it.

5. Really cool! WHen i get my Conklin GTBD-7 I'm gonna get my Alvarez defretted

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'd take the bass to a luthier to verify the frets are beyond dressing cause once they're yanked - it's make or break. Most fret wear can be dressed out.

7. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana

Thanks, I'm considering that, but I think they're pretty far gone. All the frets between 1 and 7 are worn down so that there's only a piece of wire running down the middle. I was under the impression that this was to far for just a dressing.

Craig

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Even so, being a $200 bass, you can de-fret it yourself, and it cost you very little in terms of money, just some of your time and research. Getting the frets re-dressed would probably cost you more anyhow hehe.

9. I defretted my GSR200 a while ago and it does sound sweet as a fretless!

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the highest I've ran acrosss on a fretdress was $80. Obviously depends on who you go to and how much work is required. But if I had a bass I liked fretted, I would definetly go for a fretdress as a first option. Nothing really to loose to defret if it requires a refret but I'd personally buy a low end fretless before I'd defret a fretted I liked that was salvageable. I defretted one once with decent frets and I wouldn't do it again.

11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    thats a really nice defret job. Im just curious how u went about doing that because i just defretted an old guitar neck i had layin around to practice on but i got alot of chipping from the fingerboard so it looks kinda crappy. then again it could be that the wood was old and not high quality.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    See the setup forum, there is a whole sticky thread on de-fretting with lots of good info. That's where I got all my info. I also had some chips, but filled them with epoxy and sanded it down to match. Worked pretty well.

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    ill check that out, thanks, and great job once again

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Nice job buddy!!
    many years ago i defretted with a file and left the base of the fretwire in the fingerboard, the fingerboard was pretty hard rosewood, the bass looked awesome and sounded even awesomerererer! I was always concerned that the wood around the fretwire wood wear away more quickly than the metal and cause speedbumbs and buzzing but I stuck with flats, got the neck perfectly smooth and never had any problems. If I had an inexpensive bass and needed a fretless, or wanted to experiment I would not hesitate to do it again, I am a bad boy!!!
    On a side note: frets wear more slowly on a fanfretted instrument because the angled fret has more surface area exposed to the string, bonus!!

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Updated the main pic with a better one, I accidentally deleted the original off the webserver anyhow hehe.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Opps, guess I deleted that too, link should be working now.

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks much Smash. Now if only I could play it like Pete does lol! It didnt hurt playing it through Pete's rig either, those Schroeder's are awesome hehe. My little camera was crying, but it translated the sound ok for a cheapo built-in speaker I thought hehe.

18. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah not bad for a $200 bass, with about $50 worth of materials and some time thrown into it eh? I actually bought Di`Marzio P/Js for it, but the stock J is smaller by about a 1/8th of an inch or less. I didnt feel like going through the trouble of routing out the hole with a drill to make it fit, so I left the stock pups in it.

Hmm, maybe your right, Ill go post the vid in the Schroeder thread :)