Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just defretted need help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by yellow_rev, Jan 21, 2004.

1. yellow_rev

yellow_rev

Oct 27, 2003
    i have an old cort action bass, yeah yeah i know not the best but its not horrible:rolleyes: . i got really bored yesterday and i decided since i never played it anymore since i got my fender jazz:D, and i always wanted a frettless i removed all the frets. i used a tool i found on my pocket knife that worked really well and i removed all the frets. now my fretboard has a bunch of holes in it and i dont know what to fill it with. i dont care if it looks good as long as it plays well. i also was hoping someone couod give me some types on sanding it casue i know i need to. thanks for the help

2. Quick overview on what to do.

Get some really fine sandpaper and sand it all smooth. Next get some woodfiller (easiest way to do this) and fill each fret slot with it (don't worry about over-filling them). Next, take the sandpaper again and sand till it is all smooth. Next, put on some Polyurethane as a protective coat, let sit for a day or so (got to make sure the poly dries). Next, intonate it. On a fretless you generally play on/closest to the line. So, intonate it so that the line behind the 12th fret is the same note as the string played open. Then you got yourself a fretless. Do a search and read threads for other ways and more in-depth explanation. This was just a quick run-down.

kirbywrx has a great thread about how he did his, and with pics. Here it is

Goodluck!

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106311

Thats the thread about how i de-fretted my bass. i just got some normal gap filler and crammed it in, then sanded it back and put 4 or 5 coats of polyeurathane. but i use the word 'just' very loosley, you are only 1/3 of the way through de-fretting your bass man ;)