1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"just direct" parte dos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mr.redpants, Apr 24, 2009.

1. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Feb 6, 2002
    Philly
    Frequent flyers to this part of TB-land might recall a couple months back I posted an innocent note: "the fancy producer/engineer guy says 'bass goes direct' and then said 'we mic guitar amps...' What's up with that?" The commentary that followed made me think hard about why I had issues with "just direct" ... gave rise to some mean talk and the thread was expunged by the moderators. Well, how'd it all turn out ?? :p

After an afternoon of scratch tracks for everything but drums, I returned to go "just direct." Well, I learned more laying down the final bass cuts on six tunes than I may have learned in years of playing on my own. Mr fancy producer lived up to his experience and studio investment and had me doing all kinds of neat stuff I hadn't considered, then eq'd the scratch tracks to emphasize what I was not listening to - the results are fantastic and have changed a lot of what I do in the band everytime we play. Luckily I was open to the experience and soon will post our demo link - yes we did end up running the bass all direct.

You can teach an old dog ... :hyper: