1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just dropped my Lakland...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by attackbass, Mar 30, 2009.

1. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    off to the local guitar tech to get sorted out once and for all!

New action set up for my heavy fingerstyle playing (the bass came playing nice but with 40s for somebody who doesn't dig in... added 45s and the actiin just went) and also having the ultra ultra hot pickups looked at... I know the they are supposed to be punch but there are punchy pickups and then there pickups that clip and drive your amp way too hard, in a way that is jsut plain wrong!

If they are beyond help i'm going to slam a seymour duncan quarter pounder in there.

Don't get me wrong - Lakland basses are awesome - I just the whole set up before it leaves the factory is taylored to a specific type of player and looks like i've been subject to a bit of bad luck with the pickup... nobody is perfect tho!

2. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    pickups- they're should be a trim pot in there to lower the output.

On mine, I have the active mode output in parity with the passive.

3. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Lol! I thought of that.. but then realised my bass is passive - I have a bob glaub skyline...

To show you how powerful the pickups are right now... I plug in my active mm stingray - set the compressor to 0 on my phil jones briefcase - the light on the compressor doesn't clip at all - i plug in the glaub ( a passive bass) and it is noticably louder and the compressor clip light is flashing like an old man in a rain coat! lol

This is even after lowerng the pickup!

4. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    have you tried adjusting the gain on your amp? not all basses have the same output and if you don't want to tweak the gain at the amp, use a pedal like a bassbone or something to get the outputs at the same level. 1/4 lbs. will be just as hot or hotter than the lakland pickups.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

ahh.....sorry....my mistake...I shouldn't have assumed. Nice bass btw.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    PS- I have a passive G&L JB-2 fretless. The output on those pups is cranking!!! I have to use the active pad on my amps or make sure I keep the volume on the bass down a bit.

7. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    I've tried adjusting the gain on my amp, tried it in the active input on my orange ad200b. It's not happening lol.

The bass sounds like it's going to tear the orange cabs in two!!

Even my guitar tech and soundguy were like ***? When people hear it, they have never heard anything like it from a passive bass!! It is a freak of nature bass.. it's almost kinda cool in a really annoying un-usable way!

This bass sin't just a bit louder than it should be - its damagingly loud! When compared to my fender jazz which has quarter pounder pickups - which are listed as hot out pickups - these are quiet!!

8. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    weird. I had a 1/4 lbs in my p bass and it was significantly hotter than my jazz with 1/4 lbs pickups also. The p bass was on par, or very close, to my stingray 5 output. maybe you just have the freak bass. hope you get it figured out. A p bass is a beautiful thing (when it works right) =)

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    "My pickups are too hot, so I'm going to put 1/4 pounders in it" is something I never thought I would hear.

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Agreed...I can't imagine anything hotter than the 1/4's either. :confused:

11. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    haha you're missing the point - the output on these pickups is insane...I know what quarter pounders in a p and j bass sound like, and they def dont rip my amp a new a-hole!

I wish i had made a video of it before i dropped it off today, just so you could see what i am/was dealing with!

I think i have had the first ever over active passive bass!

Quarter pounders imo are the nicest rock pickups out there

12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    That's so strange. I'm no expert, but I tend to doubt it's the pickup itself. I've demo'd a number of Glaubs and Dunns with the Lakland pickup, and I've found it a bit hotter than average--but nothing crazy. So it must be this particular Glaub. And the winding process for a pickup is quite standardized, isn't it? Must be something in the wiring.

13. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Wow, that is crazy.

Just thinking out loud-I wonder if the pickups were improperly wound?
    Also-if your bass has 2 pickups, do you have the same probelm with BOTH or just one?

Please re-post after you hear from your tech. I'd like to know what the problem was.

Good luck!

14. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    ok , so i went and saw the guitar tech today and he informed me the electrics are fine, they are stupidly hot, but all I can do it turn down the volume on the bass... altho having seen a darkstar pickup on a p bass my mind is thinking dangerous thoughts!

The action however was the main concern, he noticed as had I, that the nut was cut really deep making the action a bit uncomfortable and very high around the 12 fret etc.. so i think he is going to rip out the nut and try and get it high whilst retaining the profile of the strings.

So there you go, I was wrong, I'm humble enough to admit that and Lakland make pasive basses that destroy active ones! lol

15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    a DS or - better yet - a CHIsonic would be sweet!

My JO5 sonic is rather hot as well (passive) but it is sweet sounding!!! when I first played it the guitrarist commented that it sounded active...

16. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Call the factory........I know they had a "suspected" bad run of pickups. Yours might be in question......heck, they might just swap pups for you . Basically, call the factory - they will make it right.