Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just drove a honda s2000!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 14, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i spotted a 'used' white honda s2000 at the local hyundai dealer a few months ago and decided that - while a honda dealership probably wouldn't let me drive it - a hyundai dealer probably would. so i walked in and just flat out asked if i could drive it. the answer? "sure, let me get the keys!" i was like :eek: after expecting to get shot down.

man...this thing was like a race car. moving the stick required as much throw as flipping a light switch. the steering wheel was thick and weighty, brakes were powerful, and the ride was FLAT. handled better than any car i've ever driven, including my race modded rabbit!

man...that was fun...but kinda sad. no way could i ever own that car, unless i somehow managed to get a free pickup truck or SUV or wagon to haul my gear. unless i taught my girlfriend to drive stick so i could steal her explorer....hmmm....

[​IMG]

oh well. next test drive up - the Subaru WRX!!!

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I hate you. And I love that car. grrrrrrr -.-

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You gotta love the stratospheric 9000rpm redline on those things. I wish I could get to test drive one.

4. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I could see just about any one's g/f wanting to learn how to drive a car like that one!

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you can swing the car, getting a cheap gigmobile should be a piece of cake.

We have a 93 Ford Aerostar minivan. Runs great, looks like an Aerostar, lots of room, pretty cheap to maintain, gets decent gas mileage and even one in nice shape like ours is pretty cheap (around $2k-$4k). Great for hauling stuff.

The S2000 is sweet.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Nice Jason! I need to try one.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    dude, i'm only about 2 months older than you, went in dressed like a scrub, and still got a drive. you just gotta ask! :)

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That car is purely orgasmic. One of my friends got one when he graduated high school, but won't teach me how to drive a stick...can't say I blame him. We took his the Honda dealership for a scheduled maintenence, and on one of the 3 brand new S2000s, all four discs were RUSTED to hell and back! It was painful to look at such a beautiful car in that kind of shape.

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    My friend went on a date with a girl who drove that car, and he was so in love he talked about the car for half an hour befor he even metioned the girl. I had a laugh at that. But that car is sexy as sin.

10. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    The test drive turned out to be the downfall for me, I bought one a few days later! :D It didn't help when my wife kept repeating "Get it, get it, get it!" right in front of the salesman either! Completely blew my car budget out of the water but I don't care. It's way too fun and life is too short to drive sh1tboxes all the time. I just wish I hadn't waited until I was 30 to figure that out.

So yea, it can be hard to lug my gear around but I usually use my wife's truck for that. My bass in a soft case will fit in the trunk and my Ampeg B-100R fits in the front seat though if I'm stuck without the truck. There is actually a lot more room in the car than you initially think. We've gone camping with all our gear (sans ice chest) plus all our auto-x gear and got everything into it just fine.

It's also a very practical (for a 2 seat vert) daily driver. I drive it year round in upstate NY and with the right tires it's great in the snow. I can't recommend this car enough.