Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just drums...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbass611, Dec 31, 2000.

1. bigbass611

bigbass611

Jul 14, 2000
    I was looking into buying a new amplifier for my bass. My
    band isnt too big and I want to be able to be heard. I
    want something that would be good enough to be heard over
    raw drums. By this i mean our drummer doesnt use any form
    of amplification. would 2 x 10 good, maybe 4x 10. Thanks
    for any info.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A 4X10 would certainly be enough to be heard over the most ham-handed of drummers. Of course, it all depends on what head you use to drive it. I am currently using a Carvin RC210 combo, which is a 600 Watt, (Mono, bridged, and okay...that's a pretty liberal wattage rating), head through a 2X10 cab. This setup is plenty loud for any of the bands that I play with, or jams that I participate in. If I think that things are going to get REALLY loud, I run it bi-amped with a 15" bottom cabinet. This takes care of any drummer...Guitarists who think that they are what everyone wants to hear are another story!!! So far though, I have never had a problem with being heard.

I guess that for my money, I'd start with a 2X10 and grow from there...

Have fun,
    -robert

3. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    As rllefebv said (where the heck did he get that name? :) it depends more on the wattage you're putting out than the speakers. A 1x10" would be enough if you were putting 500 watts through it. Generally, I have found that anything over 400 watts will take care of most un-amplified drummers. IF you want to be safe, go for something 400 watts or over. But also, you can get away with a little less wattage if you have some speakers that will handle lower frequencies. The lows cut through the drums better a lot of times (depending on the acoustics of where you're at though). So I would probably recommend a 2x10" and a 1x15" more than a 4 x 10". You'll also get a just plain better sound. Much better lows. I'm running a 2x15" with tweeters with 400 watts and it cuts through any drummer just fine :). Good luck!!

4. I would agree with the other replies about the drum thing but I would plan for the future(when you add a guitarist)as a rule.....a bass player should have 4x the wattage that a guitarist has (100w guitar amp=400w bass amp)because a guitar is heavy in the mid-range frequencies they cut through the mix easier than bass and don't need a lot of power...bass on the otherhand needs more power to cut through because lows don't cut like mids & highs and you will have more headroom(more clean gain before distortion)not to mention you will be able to keep a out-of hand guitsrist in check(trust me ALL guitarist are out-of-hand ask anyone here..they'll tell you)so I would say 400w is a good starting point because you can always turn down if your blowin him\her away..but if your gettin blown away your up a creek without.... well you know.and trying to get a guitarist to turn down is like tryin to sell a $2.whore to the pope....it ain't happenin..hope this helps....later

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    This is the first time I have ever seen that expression. I have to ask... Rekebass, are you sure? Were you the one who asked him? I saw some lightning coming down the other day... was that you? :)

Regarding the topic here... I have been able to play with acoustic drummers using just 100 watts... A good set of speakers goes a long way. But then again, my old bassman was something else. :p I bet if you get upwards of 100 watts through 2 1x15s you would be fine. The problem would be that you would eventually outgrow your rig... Of course there is always a salesman out there happy to sell you more. But anyways, I can't imagine needing 400+ watts to go against a acoustic drummer. Maybe my drummers have just been kinda light handed...

6. no....no lightning...and yes,I did..just kidding...400w may sound like a lot...but really it's not(thats why there's a volume controll).Drums alone will be easy...but when you add a guitar or another amplified instrument and you have to "fight" for sonic space you'll be glad you got it..BTW..I play with a drummer who is very heavy handed(at times) and I would'nt even try to keep up(I tried before with a 130w combo 1x15+2x10ext.spkr.,and like the pope....it was'nt happenin...now the guitar player turns on his rig and I'm really left in the dust..which brings me back to the volume knob.I too owned a old (all tube) bassman that I really miss:( but go for the power now and save yourself some headaches later on down the road..just my opinion.....later

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'll go with rekesbass here. I used to play with a 150W head into a 4X10...just not enough to compete with guitar and drums. Most of the time, when playing at a volume necessary to be heard, the amp would start clipping/distorting. This is the most damaging thing for speakers. I kept wondering why my 150W amp was blowing speakers in my 400W cabinet. I'd guess that more speakers are blown by under-powered amps than by too much power, (at these types of power ratings at least).

The original post seemed to speak more to speaker combinations than wattage. Most any combination will work as long as the wattage is there to back it up.

-robert