Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just entered the world of the 6 string bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 7, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    A stubborn 4 stringer finally broke. After playing the four string for over 15 years, I got myself a 6 string. I figured it would be a great way to expand my thinking about playing bass, and open up some possiblities. I picked up an Ibanez SR406 for around $300, so I figured it would be a relatively low cost experiment. For some reason I keep on trying the Les Claypool stuff on this thing. :D
    Anyways, it's been fun and challenging. I have fun jamming out, until I realized I somehow got into the key of B when I should be in A, or I pop an open C when I meant to pop a G. Noodling around with the extra strings have been fun, but it takes a while to get used to them.
    Anyone former and current four stringers have any tips or ideas?

2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    The best advice I can offer you on the transition it to play your six string exclusively until you are comfortable. This will make the change much easier. Congratulations on the new bass, I got my six about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. :bassist:

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I've been considering diving into the world of a 6 string lately after 2 years of playing, but I've put the thought on hold until I'm better (in about 1-2 years).

Theres a 6string bassics book in my local music shop, I had a look through that and it looked pretty good, I'll get the title/ISBN number for you if you like?

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Just keep at it and you'll be fine.

The Soundgears have much tighter string spacing than you'll find on any 4 (I have a 506 myself). It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but as mentioned, just keep practicing and you'll be just fine!

5. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Scales and more scales across the entire range in every position.Cool tip I once got,say the name of each note as you play the scale,sounds easier than it is,especially when you get into unfamiliar territorty :)

6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    There is someone here, I don't know who, but their signature in their posts reads: Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

I suggest you put the 4 banger away and don't think about it.

When I made the change, I made a habit of keeping my thumb on the B string right at the pick up. It sorta helped me keep an idea of the string I was addressing during finger style.

If you're popping the C instead of the G, are you doing it for a tonal purpose or for a percussive purpose? If tonal, then yeah, re-read the first paragraph above.

But if percusive, then work on developing your muting technique. If done right, there isn't much difference between a percusive/muted C string pluck and a percusive/muted G string pluck.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That's a hard one to do. Since that's what I'm comfortable with. But, improvement and comfort are two different things.

Thanks for all your advice and encouragment. Time to get back to my b@stardized version of Hamburger Train.

8. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Nothig worthwhile comes easy. If it were, what would be its value?