just figured out i like la bella nickel plated strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pcake, Aug 20, 2017.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    right after i bought my shorty bass i got it a set of short scale la bella nickel plated round wound bass strings. i wanted super low tension strings, so got the custom lights from 40 - 85. the bass and i weren't a good match, so i didn't play it much.

today i had a potential buyer come by, and while waiting i got to playing the bass, and OMG the strings were comfy! i have tendonitis and other issues, so couch basses need very flexible, low tension strings, and i had failed to notice that these were them. i'll be buying some for my other basses that don't need snappy strings asap!

if you, like me, have hand or wrist issues, these are definitely worth trying. not only are they super easy on fingers and wrist, but they're also inexpensive for bass strings.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They are low tension because of the tiny 40-85 gauge, and your short scale. A normal set of 45-105 LaBellas are quite stiff, probably some of the stiffest I've used.

Just trying to avoid confusion there :)

kingmacaw likes this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've used almost every short scale, thin gauge string - these are floppier than any i've used. it's true, though, that other models of la bellas i've used are stiff as bridge cable...

4. Which string set specifically (part number)and what bass have you got them on?

5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    according to my bassstringsonline history, the part number is LB_SN40-S.

i had them on a 30" scale hofher shorty.

6. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Club or Beatle bass? I've been interested in a club

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    a shorty, but i've owned a club and a beatle. i loved the feel and look of the club, and in black gloss it was super. nothing has that vintage look the beatle basses have, but perhaps because of my lack of height (i'm 5' 3"), sometimes my arm would get stuck in the waist of the beatle bass while i was playing *lol* that being said, they were both light, although the beatle basses are a little lighter, and i love the sound - in fact, i like 'em with flats or rounds.

8. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Doh! My bad. I tried to get one of those hideous green Clubs a few months ago, but they sold out.
    I don't have a green bass......

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i missed the green clubs - were they ignition, contemporary or german?

i have one green bass, my go-to mikro. but i don't have a red bass right now...

10. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    They were ignition. Had a sweet red, but I missed that, too.mall they've got left is silver sparkle and sunburst but Inonly buy on sale, unless it's a Drake.

11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    hopefully some better colors will come up on sale soon... i've blown my bass budget for the year, but you never know :D

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 18, 2021