Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just finished a demo...take a listen!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GoneFarAway, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Hey all,

My band went into the studio for two days this week to do a quick demo with our newest guitarist. We wrote some songs this month, so they're not completely polished, so the lines are still changing, but the recording is pretty decent for 10 hours worth of time.

The bass work isn't particularly spectacular, but I do like the intro on the fourth track.

01 - Sincerely Gone
    02 - Don't Dream, Don't Wonder
    03 - Still Frames (I posted this earlier but we re-recorded it)

04 - Time Ticks Away

Any feedback is much appreciated!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like the songs, but I don't like the singing. The songs are strong, they are together, the lyrics fit in nicely, but the singer...just doesn't do it for me.

but other than that, sounds good, some tracks kind of have a Tool vibe going on only much more light and less abstract.

augh, yeah man, I can't stand this singing. I dunno, maybe it's just me, or these speakers, but it really stands out poorly too me...I just plugged into the hi fi and yeah, that just makes it worse! It's not only his timbre, he's off pitch sometimes, and his voice doesn't blend very well with everything else, like...it sounds like someone just overdubbed the vocals to his favorite songs using a computer mic in his room. :meh:

but, I do dig the band and the music.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Gonna have to agree with WR on this one. Like the songs, but not the vocals. I do dig that intro on the fourth song, but the singer sounds like he's having trouble doing anything that low. Then, when the song picks up, he really loses it.

4. I dislike this singing. All other aspects of the music are fine but seriously lookinto getting a new singer. You guys have potential but there is no way I would hire you with this singer.

5. Thanks for the comments, all. Our singer is actually graduating, so we actually have no choice but to get a new one for next year (assuming I don't graduate this semester myself!)

Cool you liked the music though. We're hoping to get a CD done this semester if we can. I'm having a lot of fun with it in any case!

Anyone out there like his singing? In his defense, he was loaded up on a bunch of vitamins and pills since he was sick, but you probably still wouldn't like it even if he weren't sick :)

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have to jump on the bandwagon with everyone else here. Only I'll leave one foot off, I've heard far worse singers at gigs I'm sure they were getting paid for.

7. Well, at least you guys liked the music, I think. We'll be getting a new singer, and if we win the upcoming battle of the bands to play the end-of-the-year concert with national acts (we made top 12 of 50 so far), we should really have no problem. In any case, it's a lot of fun!

8. I renamed the files and changed the order of the songs and forgot to update. They're all available here.
    Thanks for the headsup!