1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just finished a first (assembly) build...what a rush

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by abemo, Aug 23, 2012.

1. abemo

abemo

Feb 27, 2012
    Arvada, co
    So I had this old p-bass knockoff (terrible instrument) that I just finished rebuilding. Alder (I think, possibly ash) body, with acrylic paint and epoxy finish, maple neck/fretboard, balsa wood for the pickguard/control plate, schaller pickup (circa 1980), no name bridge pulled from another fender knockoff, tuning machines pulled off a mid-80's japanese fender. No knobs, just a 2 position ground connect toggle (on/off switch). As the title says, not a full build, a lot of it was damaged parts I bought and refurbished, all that's left is strings and testing. Can't wait for tomorrow, will update then, but holy s*#% I'm psyched, reminds me of the rush after playing my first show or collecting my first gig payment. And the best part is, total price (minus the body which was re-shaped and finished from an old knockoff p) was less than $100.

Attached Files:

2. abemo

abemo

Feb 27, 2012
    Arvada, co
    Oh, and I do apologize, this project has been going off and an for a few years now, so I don't have much photographic documentation of the process, just the finished product, mostly just wanted to share the results, discuss the huge adrenaline rush from finishing, and get feedback. If it helps, it used to be a straight p copy with a natural nitro finish.