Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just finished a MiM P Upgrade...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Growler, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    So I've been playing a stock MiM P, for years, and recently I decided to take the plunge and upgrade... I play blues and classic rock.. (this calls for Boston's More than a Feeling...)

Out went the stock pickups...

In went a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, and a set of GHS Boomers...

Plugged it in and let me tell you, what a difference these pickups make.. the lows are lower.. the mids are *much* clearer. I never realized how 'muddy' the stock pickups sounded. Even PinkFloyd's money sounded crisper and the Laundromat Blues nolonger sounded like I was actually playing in the laundromat.. :bassist:

One thing I noticed tho... they are alot louder than the stock ones... so I had to turn down the volume on the amp a bit, but this is only a problem in the house..

-Growler

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Congratulations, you have just discovered why the quarterpounder is one of the most popular pickup replacements for the fender jazz bass. I did the same thing once, and it turned out great.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I tried the QP's but ended up going with Dimarzio Model P's in my MIM. Sounded great to my ears, just cleaning a bit up, bit more mids, without a huge volume boost. More of a vintagey 70's tone that I loved.