Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just finished epoxying my neck....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warwickluvr, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Hey, I just finished epoxying the neck of my fretless SX. It turned white, but the sound has improved. (I actually like the look of the white neck) Plus, obviously, the neck is more durable.

I recommend this practice to anyone looking to make their neck more durable, is looking for a different sound, or has de-fretted a bass and wants to fill in the gaps.

Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wow, the white neck looks kinda of weird, but I'm used to the darkness of rosewood...

3. Not to offend,but I dont like the looks of it at all.Couldnt the epoxy be colored brown?

4. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    I like the white neck, it's unique. I think a little custom look makes you feel closer to the instrument. "This is MY bass!"

5. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Thats cool, everybody.

I'm not saying its the best looking bass Ive ever seen, but I do find it pleasing to the eye.

Keep your ideas coming if you're so inclined to share.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Did you want the epoxy white? or was it supposed to be clear? I know that sometimes when you use a clear coat on painted products, and you put it on in the cold, it clouds up. I was wondering if this was the same reaction.

7. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Well, the brand was SuperEpoxy, and the package said "translucent." I dunno if it was supposed to turn white or not, but it did.

I'm sure if I looked harder I could've found "clear" epoxy, but I guess I just didn't think about it too hard. No biggie, though.

8. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    probably very fire air bubbles from the mixing process turning it white. to get it perfectly clear after mixing you have to heat it (with a hot air gun) to allow the air bubbles to come out before applying

9. never heard of that happening before, how much do one of those hot air guns run?

10. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    "Translucent" means that light can pass through but it's not trasnparent (ie Clear). Fogged glass is translucent.

~Paul :)

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If it's bubbles, they come out if you heat them before the epoxy cures by using hot air. A hair dryer works fine. You don't need a lot of heat.I did mine right after applying the epoxy and it came out fine.

I use two coats, sanding level between coats with 400 wet and dry on a sanding block. Then after the final coat is fully hardened I wet sand with 600 grit. Perfect job. Lot of work though.