Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just finished my first Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brooks, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    After much deliberation, I decided to take a plunge and put together my own Warmoth 'Jaco-ish' Bass. Last year, I got a '75 Jazz, and in the process of restoring it ended up with a pair of good sounding, but uknown pups and few other bits and pieces that were just begging for a nice body and a neck.

About a 6 weeks ago, a saw a nice, all-wenge J fretless neck in Warmoth's Thrift shop and went for it. A couple of weeks ago, a nice alder body with qulited maple top popped up in the thrift shop. Folks at FenderForum recommended I pair wenge neck with an alder body, so I went for it.

I also got a Gotoh 206 bridge, pots and jack, string retainer and some screws from Warmoth. I had a Fender Limited Edition neck plate with screws already, and a set of HipShot Ultralights for a Jazz.

It took me about 8 hours of total work time to put this bass together. All parts fitted PERFECTLY - a testament to Warmoth's fantastic quality. Neck pocket was absolutely perfect, all holes were drilled where they were supposed to be. Biggest jobs were shielding and cutting the nut, something I did for the first time, and without having proper tools.

For shielding, I used 4 coats StewMac's Shielding Paint. Over that, I put J shielding plates to which I soldered ground wires. I screwed in all ground wires to the side of the electronics cavity, then took one wire to the main ground. Bass is VERY quiet with either pup soloed, treble on full, and my Carvin R1000 on full volume, even when I stand right next to a fluorescent light fixture.

I had some trouble with the pups, because they were a bit too big for the routes. When I bought the '75 Jazz, these pups were installed without the covers for the same reason.

I had a couple of Fender J pickup covers, so I 'shaved' them all around (the invisible part) until they fit.

Soldering the electronics was very easy - something else I did for the 1st time. I used the diagram at Mr.GearHead site, and it works perfectly. Warmoth supplied me with CTS pots, dome covers, jack and the cap.

Gotoh 206 fit in perfectly and was easy to adjust. My biggest concern was the nut. I read all I could on the subject, and everyone said that it is a tricky operation, especially on a fretless. I used a triangle file to start the groves, then a Dremel with 1mm cutting disc to shape them to size. Strangely enough - it worked!

I took measurments off of my Rick Turner Fretless which is also 1.5" at the nut.

And there you have it - after a few evenings, I have a great sounding, very playable fretless Jazz.

Neck pup (wish I knew what it was) is very punchy and full-sounding, while the bridge pup gives that typical Jaco sound. There are tons of mwah, probably thanks to that lovely all-wenge neck and roundwood strings.

In terms of looks, blue quilted maple top and dark brown wenge don't match too well, but I am not worried about that. I bought (very cheaply) a black JP90 body with a Fender bound maple neck with black blocks, so I might pair this fretless neck with a black body, and Fender neck with Warmoth blue body.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Headstock front. I used roller string retainer rather than the tarditional Fender type. Hipshots look like traditional Fender tuners from the front.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    But when you look at them from the back you can see they are UltraLights. I was afraid of neck dive with an all-wenge neck, so Hipshots were a must. I also repositioned the bottom straplock for better balance. This bass now balances better than my original '75 Jazz.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Back of the bass. Cavity cover still has the protective plastic on it. I shielded the back of it with StewMac paint and made sure that it has good contact with shielding inside the cavity.

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Here's the neck plate I used - Fender Limited Edition Jimmy Hendrix plate. Hendrix played bass too...so why not?

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  9. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    very nice bass, I actually think the blue and wenge go together perfectly, congratulations!

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow that is seriously beautiful. Great job!

11. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Thanks Toshiya :) The look is starting to grow on me the more I look at it..but then, if I grumble about it, wife might let me get another body, which would need another neck...you get the picture ;)

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    that is great. absolutely beautiful.. I am jealous

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Wow, that's very ncie. I personally like the way the neck looks on the blueburst body!!!!

Congrats!!!!!

14. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    very cool! very cool.....

I have a blue body that is similar on the way myself! but I went with a maple fretted neck for it...

P@

15. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    . Don`t you touch that!!!:D Your jazz is a pure beauty.

16. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    did you finish it yourself? :)

again, beautiful.

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well...if you read the 1st post, you will see that I bought a finished body and neck from Warmoth. I did everything else, and as it turned out, it was a pretty easy job, even though I'm a real klutz.

Warmoth stuff is really good quality, everything was cut/drilled/shaped to perfection, so with the exception of the weird pups, everything else went smoothly. Longest job was shielding...took me about 2-3 hours to complete it. Basically, all done in two afternoons.

18. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
  19. I agree completely! Nice work!:cool:

20. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I refinished this one myself...gave me the courage to try putting a Warmoth together: