Just finished my new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefferson04, Nov 10, 2003.

1. black limba wings
    eastern flame maple neck through w/ walnut center laminate, graphite reinforced
    SD Basslines 3 coil alnico MM pickup with 3 band tone circuit
    macassar ebony fingerboard
    Hipshot A style bridge, string through body
    Gotoh tuners
    Lithium cell 9v battery (Lasts 3-4 times as long!)
    FW75 Fretwire (from lmii, if you really wanted to know)

Right now I have DR Marcus Miller Fatbeams on it, and it sounds just like I wanted it to when i started. My next one is going to be identical except for jazz pickups.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nice job!! Congrats. Any sound clips?
  3. I think it looks especially nice from the back. I love that figured maple neck.
  4. Not yet, but i'll get some up as soon as i find my cable that lets me plug into my computer
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    very nice!
  6. Thanks for the compliments, what do y'all think of the body shape? My brother drew it, and I think i'm going to make a lot more basses with this shape.
  7. I think thats an awsome job. I love the wood combo and pretty much everything about it. Shape wise I would keep the lower horn and get rid the top one, making it a little more defined.

Thats very nitpicky though, it;s a great job and I can't wait to see more stuff from you.
  8. the basic shape I like. I would make it a little more curvy though, but IMO.
  9. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    You are probally not going to like this, I do not like the shape. It looks like a weird stretched version of a Thumb Bass. Sorry man. My opinion does not matter though. It's your bass. You will be playing it. And, when people come upi and ask where did you get your bass, you will have the luxury to say that "I made it myself".

However, It looks like that you did a great job on the construction side of the house. I could not build a bass. Rock on!
  10. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i agree
  11. yeah i was thinking the same thing with more curves, especially around the bottom of the right wing and where the right horn transitions into the body.
  12. Great job!!
    Is it your first one? The built quality looks pretty good from the pictures.

May I ask what kind of finish is done on the body?
  13. Yes, it is my first, but I already have number 2 in progress. It is a shellac base coat with tung oil finish, and it needs to be redone already because it needs to dry for at least a week to get hard. Naturally, I couldn't resist stringing it up and playing it so it only dried for 2 days. It has a lot of small scratches where my fingernails hit the neck right under the strings in between the pickup and the fretboard.
  14. Nice, very nice!

The upper horn struck me as kinda bleh, but I think I do like it!

How much did it cost? if you don't mind me asking...
  15. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Great looking bass!!!!
  16. lost track on money and time, somewhere from 500-600 dollars and maybe 20 hours but thats just a guess.
  17. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Sheesh...only 20 hours and $500?? Please teach me how to do this!