Just finished my rig, take a gander......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Just finished my rig today, at long last. Thanks to everyone here who gave me recommendations on different things. My final configuration is as follows...

Audio-Technica 1100 series wireless ->
    Korg DTR-2 Tuner ->
    ADA MB-1 Preamp ->
    Behringer Composer Pro ->
    Mackie 1400i power amp ->
    Carvin 1x15 cab

ADA MC-1 Midi control pedal w/ the preamp

Tell me what you all think!
  2. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I like that Ada pre a lot. Great variety of tone options. Just don't get too carried away with it, like different sounds on every song. Its hard, I know. I probably would't put that Behringer thingy in my rack. And although I've never heard a Carvin cab in person, that might be the weakest link in your rig at the moment.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, that Behringer "thingy" is actually quite good.
  4. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Mmm-kay. I'm just being a bit sceptical with any equipment carrying the name "Behringer"
  5. Actually, I have loved every piece of Behringer equipment that I touch. They are extremely easy to use, and do not in any way confuse the user. They are user-friendly, and do everything that more "professional" equipment does. The Behringer Compressor in my rack is great because it has a noise gate, and the preamp is very noisy, so I clock that puppy in at the right threshold, and when I am not playing, it shuts out all the dirty sound that the preamp puts out. The Carvin cab, is by far the weakest link in the system. That cab is so great, i had no idea. I actually bought it used off of Monkey, and I know he has used it for years with no problems. It has great tone, and it responds quickly to everything I play, and it is extremely light for a 1x15. I am planning on eventually adding a 4x10 to the stack though, so I will clear up the mids and highs a little more, and give them more tone, but I am a bass man primarily. The one problem I do have with this system, is the preamp. I dont know if it is this preamp in particular, or all ADA preamps, but it is noisy as all hell. Its not the big a deal when I am playing, but if I dont have the noise gate running, then it hums like all craziness. Any ideas?
  6. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I don't recall the one I used (many years ago)making any significant hisses. Does it hiss with the tube pre off? If not, the problem is bad tube. Could the hiss come from that wireless unit? Do you have the right type of transformer? Are all cables ok?

How old is the pre? It may need some service, like checking the solder joints and electrolytic capasitors. It has quite a bit of digital electronics in it which may cause problems if everything is not ok.
  7. Very nice rig Paul - I'd suggest getting a larger rack case to accomodate your Mackie.