Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just finished rewiring my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stype, Oct 16, 2005.

1. stype

stype

Oct 7, 2005
    Connecticut
    Well I've been reading here for a few weeks now and I felt inspired to do some work. I have a MIM fretless jazz that hums like its nobody's business and its always been annoying, so I really wanted to follow lyle's shielding advice. And while I was at it, I definitely would rather have vol/blend than vol/vol so I wanted that too. And the series thing intrigued me too, so why not do that too? I found lyle's schematic to do all that using the 3pdt switch, and it looked easy enough.

Well I got all the parts I needed in and went at it friday night, and well, it ended up working great. The hum is completely gone. Even the noise from the pickups is gone. It really sounds like a whole new bass. The blend knob is so much more useful to me. Can get a neat sound sweeping through the blend while playing. But most of all, that series switch is amazing. I wasn't sure what to expect from the sound, but its a huge upgrade in my book. I definitely use it in series most of the time now.

And whats next? Well I've never liked the sound from the stock fender pickups on this thing, so I have a pair of barts in the mail. My MIM has the non-standard bridge pickup size so I widened the cavity a little before I shielded it. Hopefully I widened it enough. (yeah I was too anxious to wait for the pickups to come in before I started everything)

Anyways, thanks lyle for the great schematics/shielding guide. It was a big help.

2. fantastic!

I've already shielded my PJ (and another bass AND a homemade outboard preamp box) with good results using a method I developed with Aluminium Foil and cloth carpet tape (copper foil is STILL best, mind you).

I've order a push-pull pot and can't WAIT to get it to modify my PJ for a series mod...

I don't mind the volume/volume/tone setup and I'm going to stick with that...

I can't WAIT :hyper:

I LOVE messing with modifications...it's so ADDICTING!

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Cool! Glad it helped you.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I put a set of Barts in my MIM fretless jazz, and I love the sound. You should be very happy with them.