Just fired a guitarist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Jan 17, 2003.

1. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Wow. We just dumped our guitarist. We are trying to get our stuff together so we can start getting regular gigs around here. He was always the one having trouble learning songs, always overplayed, and just wasn't very good.

Really nice guy, really lousy guitar player.

I feel really bad at the moment, but it is for the best.

I feel like I just broke up with my girlfriend.
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, at least its a step in the right direction...I fired mine as well..he just kinda sucked and wasn't very into the band..he's a friend of mine, so hard feelings. It is a lot harder than people say to find a good guitarist that is willing to play original material he didn't write.. ah well...good luck finding a replacement, I just used my little bro :D
  3. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    This guy is a nice guy, and I will still see him - he and I work at the same company - but it had to be done. I was gonna quit before long if he didn't go.

I am hoping that a replacement shouldn't be too hard to find. We play a lot of guitar heavy songs that I like to think a lot of guitar players would have fun with. Everyone always says that guitarists are a dime a dozen. I'm not so sure that applies to good ones, though, and I don't have much desire to play with any more bad ones.

At this point, I am willing to wait and work with the rest of the band (Drummer, singer and another guitar player) til we find someone that really is good. And in the meantime, I think we could play certain types of gigs with just the current setup.
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    *stands up and appluads*

I've always found the guitarist are a dime a dozen quote to be false. Finding a good guitarist, who can improvise, have a good understanding of music, have a unique personality of their chosen instrument, and are just fine to get along with is not as easy as people think. Yeah, there are tons of "Hack" guitarist out there, (which is why sometimes you'll see local bands with 3 or 4 guitarist, to make up for everyone's lack of musicianship, by theirselves) but a truly talented guitarist is just as hard to find as a talented bassist, drummer, or singer.
  5. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Yeah, IME, the genuinely good guitar players are just as hard to come by as good singers or drummers, as they are genuinely involved with other projects already. BAD guitarists are a dime a dozen.

At this point, I am quite interested in taking the band in different musical directions by possibly adding a decent keyboard player if that turns out to be an easier find than a guitar player.
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Really, because where I live, EVERYONE plays guitar, so it's very easy to find a talented guitar player. It's near impossible, though, to find any other instruments around here
  7. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Everyone plays guitar here, too, but that doesn't mean there are good guitarists available. I know a few guys who can totally shred through any song or progression, have massive chops, and are nice guys to boot. Problem is, these guys (that I know) have no concept of how to fit into a band setting, where they have to exercise restraint and play for the song, instead of showing off their chops constantly.