Just for curiosity...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jul 4, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

One of my students gave me a copy of a "basic guitar setup and repair" video taught by Harvey Citron and made by Homespun tapes in 1984. This guy is very nice and knowledgeable and found in Google that he has his own brand, Citron guitars and basses, but seems to be an obscure one. Has anybody tried his basses? He's barely mentioned in TalkBass. Again, just for curiosity. Thank you!

(BTW, he looks like Juanes in that video)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Funny you should mention this: I read an article the other day in the April '05 issue of Bass Player Magazine on page 104. There's a picture of a Citron bass.

Doug Wimbish uses them too.
  3. Citron as in Villette-Citron?
  4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

From the website:

"A guitarist, bandleader, and graduate architect, Harvey Citron has been building guitars and basses since the early 1970's. He co-founded Veillette-Citron in 1975, and during that partnership's eight years built some of the finest handcrafted electric guitars, basses, and baritone guitars. As an independant luthier, Harvey Citron designed the Guild X/92 Breakaway guitar, and has been a frequent reviewer for Guitar Player, Bass Player, and Guitar World magazines. His Basic Guitar Set-Up and Repair instructional video is available from Homespun Tapes. Today, he builds guitars and basses in his shop in Woodstock, New York."
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Someone should add to the quote "........and hasn't updated his website in years......"

One of my favorite players, Steve Swallow, plays a great looking Citron bass exclusively. It sounds sooooo good.
  6. You guys realize that in french, "citron" means "lemon" right? I wonder if he sold many in France. :rolleyes:
  7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Kinda like the Chevy Nova (no go) eh?
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Then why is the European car company called Citron!?
  9. I never got that. Actually, it was one of the examples used by a prof in a marketing class in university. One example that you have to study your market, including culture and language before launching a new product/name. Would you go shopping for a car knowing you are about to buy a lemon? :meh:
  10. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    The car manufacturer is called Citroën, not Citron.

By the way, I kind of doubt that in French the word lemon has the same slang meaning "crappy product" it has in English. In German, you call a bass that's a "lemon" a "cucumber", fo example.
  11. Veillette-Citron 8 string that was for sale on bunny bass website long time ago