Just for fun, no mean intended

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave hope, Oct 13, 2021 at 3:03 PM.

1. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world.

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Seriously, this a local girl. She has some classic expressions. A pretty darn good bassist too in her own right!

B02AEC97-7511-4B0D-8449-13EFE839509F.jpeg

lowdownthump and Bajo Clarkko like this.
  2. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    My wife claims that I am too deadpan on stage, that I don’t smile or show emotion. My excuse is that I am concentrating, trying to stay in the groove, listening to the others. I’m pretty sure I smile when I see little kids dancing like no one is watching. I mean, how can you not smile at that?

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Only cure for Bass Face is singing! But then you get singer snarl.

4. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    :roflmao::woot::roflmao:

5. The exaggerated facial expressions always remind me of the head banging, jumping around the stage antics. They seem forced and a bit silly to me, but maybe it’s perfectly natural, I really don’t know. I must admit that I would love to see a full orchestra playing with every musician making their “caught up in the music” faces.

6. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    it's the industry standard. however, jazz bassists are trained to smile instead, in jazz it's very important to keep a good face even if something gets terribly wrong.

some pun intended, but mostly true.

El Thumpo likes this.
  7. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    when you see that face it's best to keep your hands and feet away from their mouths.....They've reached a particular special level that you can't enter.

8. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    It’s passion, dude.

There are, ahem, other things we do where we make faces and noises that might seem out of place if they weren’t happening as part of those other things.

They happen for the same reasons.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Are y'all sure Joe Dart didn't discover time travel? :D

Artman and tb-player like this.
  10. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Remember those kids in school, when they first learned to cut paper or draw? Thier tongues curling around and mouthing shapes as they maneuver the scissors/paper, same thing. ;)

gebass6 likes this.
  11. groovepump

groovepump

Aug 3, 2020
    NoiseNinja likes this.
  12. groovepump

groovepump

Aug 3, 2020
    Perfect explanation! Explains it all !!!

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Seriously?
    They can't top guitarists.
    Photo-Collage-1634227406579.jpg

Winton likes this.
  15. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Funny, because I sometimes have to listen to certain players with the video off, because the expressions start to get on my nerves. I'm [not] looking at you, Michael League.

16. SoonerBill

SoonerBill

Aug 27, 2017
    And here I started wanting to learn the bass because all I ever saw were bassists standing in the back looking all blank, cool and totally relaxed.

SemiDriven likes this.
  17. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I’m usually laughing or goofing with the drummer. I guess if you saw a photo of me smiling, you might just think I’m a wee demented

18. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    A lot of us don't have basses with low Bs, Cs, and Ds. Does that mean we are immune to metal face?

Katoosie likes this.
  19. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    3BE2BD75-7A5B-464C-9E80-CEAA7EF38B52.jpeg 690092A8-8C45-4DBF-A29A-DDEEA54242FE.jpeg

20. Unmost

Unmost Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2020
    I can't give links right now but it's a phenomenon that has been studied. It's quiet common for people who concentrate on a complicated task to make such involontary body movement or facial expressions. The mouth often mimics the sounds produced by the instrument. I'll try to post sources later.

dave hope and gebass6 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021