1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just for fun...THUNDERBIRD vs RD STANDARD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevin_BlueBASS, Apr 5, 2009.

1. RD STANDARD

31 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. THUNDERBIRD (either reverse or non-reverse)

55 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. Just for fun, I want to see everyone's opinion on these two legendary Gibson models. Of course it's hard to compare the passive T-Bird to the Moog electronics found in the RD artist, so to make it more fair, this is only regarding the RD standard
    And here is our contestants!

The THUNDERBIRD:

79thunderbird.
    69thunderbird.

VS

The RD STANDARD:

RD_standard.

Personally I prefer the shape of the RD, and it's all maple vs all the mahogany build of the T-bird... I have a Maple fetish lol

Now cast your votes!
    Peace
    :bassist:

2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    So we're comparing a '76 (the black one) to a 60's NR (the brown one) to an RD Standard?.

Even tho I'd love to own an RD, my 50year old spine says:

I'll take the Thunderbirds, Thank You! :)

3. give me a NR body with a maple FB and im sold..

4. i think they both look like something you would punish your child with.

:bag:

5. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I have both and the Thunderbird is SO much lighter! My 50 yr. old back couldn't take 4 hrs. of the RD hanging on my body.

Cheers,
    Jim

6. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    RD....

Thunderbirds are quite ugly... IMHO

7. RD, I prefer the shape.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I agree.

9. thunderbird my time playing a couple of epiphone models one completely stock..the other had a black base colour with pink polka dots on it and not small ones either must of been 5/6 inches in diameter on each of them haha but that one was as the owner put it "more wood filler than actual wood" after an drunkern incident with the bass and a street floor, but yes, the body of the thunderbird just sits right with me, when you have adjustable strap that is, the RD is to misshapen to my eyes but a good design in it's own rights

10. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    RD for Ralphe Armstrong

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'll have to agree with the others about the weight. My almost 50 year old spine couldn't take an RD. I have two '76 Tbirds and they are both lightweight and sound great. Thunderbird for me.

12. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Don't know what a RD is, don't care. Gibson Thunderbird always!!!

13. i picked the Tbird,only cause i could give a F*** less about the RD standard.the RD artist on the other hand sounds like it would be a much better match up against the Tbird.

14. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    since I never had a RD to play with, I cannot truthfully answer the "this vs that" question. Weight is not a factor for me, but tone and playability is. I suppose if an RD sounded similar and the neck felt the same, I would have an RD or 2 in my collection. :D

15. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    +1 Artist vs Tbird is a close run thing - for a whole gig probably a Tbird but as a change bass......that's hard!

16. man... in a perfect world i would say BOTH!

But for argument's sale, i'll go with the RD if only because it's so stand alone and other than First Act there really isn't anything like it...

17. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    My vote goes for Thunderbird. But I'd choose an RD artist over a bird anyday

18. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    There is a 1976 Bird at my local GC and I played it the other day. It had a much different rone than any other on the racks. I have not played the RD but sure did like the Bird. They want 1900 for it.

19. wow i was immature.. at this point i'd say idk, cause i'd like to try an RD but they are never around anywhere for me to try (especially the standard being the rarest). the weight sounds a bit iffy for me even being a smaller guy though...

20. Rotwang

Rotwang

Nov 6, 2011
    If I ever found myself in the middle of a gunfight, I would definitely want the RD to use as a shield. That Maple must weigh a ton!!