Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just for fun, who's from SE, FI, NO, DK, IC ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Nov 3, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    And, don't you feel we're short-changed in terms of available bass gear? I wish the music stores would have more guts and bring in more high-end gear...

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m from IC (Iceland ;) ).

And yes, I do feel that we are short-changed in terms of available music gear.

The selection of gear here in Iceland is pretty limited. For example the Peavey dealer won´t import the Cirrus because he feels it´s so expensive that it will never sell.

Amp wise it´s even harder.... I would love to try out Eden, GK and more, but unfortunately no. :(

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'm from Iceland:)
    The music stores here have a limited selection of gear:( ..But I can't afford high-end gear anyway right now..

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    we have quite an icelandic posse here at talkbass. i'm telling you, you guys should form a band :)

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like that idea, 4 basses and I could also play didjeridoo & glockenspiel if I buy one.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sure would love to visit those parts someday, especially Norway. Find my roots, y'know.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, I can see we suffer a bit when it comes to prices.. But then again, it just means we have to pass on that Fender and other US gear and support smaller European luthiers/amp manufacturers instead.

Also, hello to all Nordic TBers! :)

8. I'm from Sweden.

We get some of the well-known stuff I guess but your rigt, the music stores here just doesn't seem to think that it would pay off to bring in more "high-end" gear.

9. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Norway here. I live in Oslo where there are several music stores, and the selection isn't too bad I guess. But prices are high... I find it cheaper to order smaller items (strings, preamps, hardware etc.) from the US. Basses, amps and cabinets will in most cases draw too much in shipping costs.
    The market for used stuff is fairly active.

Any bassplayers left in Iceland now who are not members of TB? :)

10. Wouldn't that be awesome? :D

Oh yes, Iceland.

11. I'm from Sweden, too. The stores here in Stockholm - "then kungliga hufvudstadten" - do not carry very much when it comes to new and more expensive gear. There is some interesting vintage stuff I like checking out, however.

12. Dose Iceland have an army/air force/navy?

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Iceland itself has not got an army. But the US army has an armybase in Keflavik.

14. Another swede here!

For those who live in or near Stockholm, there is a store called Jam, where they've got quite a lot of basses, even some high-end stuff like Warwick SS2's and Thumb's. When I write this they even have one Jay Dee Supernatural bass.

Check their homepage at http://www.jam.se/elbasar.htm

Otherwise the supplies of high-end basses is really weak. Lots of Ibanezes, Fenders and low-end Warwicks as far as the eye can see. Sometimes you even find a korean Spector...:rolleyes:

But who cares, we've got EBS!!!

15. ...and then there's those terrible Eagle Basses...

16. Any Scandinavians here from the Northern parts of their respective countries? Anyone ever been to Spitzbergen? :D

There is just no cool geography in my part of the U.S. :D

17. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'm from Iceland but I don't know any of the other Icelandic TB's, imagine that:confused:

18. My real first name is Gunnar-Martin and my last name ends with a "son." Do I count?

19. Just two finns here...strange...anyway, yes it's har to find good gear at good prices here...I'm building a bass, and had to order stuff from stew-mac (twice)... and it was around 100-120% cheaper importing it that buying it here!

20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hey, that's a good deal! I'll import everything from now on! ;);)

Where are all the other Northern TBers, must be more than this?