Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just for fun

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
  2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Here's the feedback I'm looking for.

First, I would love any feedback on the orginals.

Second, I don't solo a ton of late but I do consider myself a fairly active sideman. I would love to hear thoughts about the job I'm doing in a supportive role.

Third, any critique on the solos would be great. I have been working really hard of late to develop a voice. I've been trying to make the notes I play matter more.

Thanks in advance.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just listened to "Ordeal", and had a couple of comments:

I like the introduction - reminds me of Haden's intro to "Bebop" from the Kenny Barron record, "The Moment". Nice!

When the head comes in and the line starts, I think the two chords the guitarist is playing (Cmi and Ab/C??) sound a little bit bare. Maybe some color tones and/or crunches in those voicings would make it sound a little less klezmer, like when the piano player comes in with more color.

The groove and energy are nice, with a lot of good contrast. I'm looking forward to visiting the rest of the clips!

4. Well, I'll start the ball rolling. My comments are as a listener, not a double bass player, because if I could play like you I wouldn't be seeking any reassurance here :spit:

I listened to "Ordeal". First thing that struck me was the sound of your bass - gorgeous, basically! Lovely sustain and very even sound. It cuts through the mix beautifully. So as a support man you're doing great for that alone. Your time is solid too. What more would anyone need?

I'd only make a minor carp about the intonation in the opening solo section- some of those high notes sound a fraction off to me. But as an original composition it's moody and memorable; is it one of yours?

5. You following me around today Chris :D ?

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    DURRL - Don't you mean WANTON SPIRIT?

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks guys. This is exactly the kind of constructive criticism I was looking for. I have not been around a community of musicians this passionate since college.

btw Ordeal was recorded on a German plywood bass. I'm glad you like the tone. It is not very loud in person but does have a very even sound.

Ordeal and Divers are both originals.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yup - that's the one. "The Moment" is the one with Rufus. "Green Chimneys" is my favorite.... DOH!

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Who posted first in boh threads? DYSLEXICS OF THE WORLD, UNTIE! :D