Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just for grins: Pics of my recent 1957 strat purchase!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassturtle, Nov 7, 2005.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I know it's blasphemy to post pics of guitars on here, but I know there are some guys who are bigger vintage freaks on here than I am. Thought some of you guys might get a kick out of it. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I flipped it within a couple of days of puchasing it. I buy stuff like this with the intention of keeping it but someone always talks me out of it.

So anyway, here it is.

Attached Files:

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No it isn't. We don't have that stupid childish prejudice here.

Very nice, BT.

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

I suppose the bass>guitars t-shirt isn't prejudice...just straight fact :D

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Simple mathematics really.

That's a very nice looking guitar. I bet it sounded incredible.

We have a 60's series strat in the same colour config Definitely my favorite.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    A good example of what original guts and pencil dating are supposed to look like:

Attached Files:

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow just think of it that guitar is almost 50 years old! Play it with Love. :bassist:

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a pal with a 57 but it doesn't look nearly that good. Sounds awesome, though. That's pretty prime for being a 57.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm confused: did you buy it and then sell it?

da-yum, that guitar is smokin', btw.

9. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    The best strats are old. That rules.

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    A friend of mine and I were discussing vintage prices a couple of days ago. Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it?

PM me if you don't want to throw it out in the crowd.

11. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

do people feel compelled to buy a guitar like that and then immediately rip it apart? That drives me nuts. Leave it alone and play it. If I wanted an exploded view, I'd buy a poster.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    To make sure it's real.

You HAVE to look at all the components to make sure they're all as they're supposed to be and all original. With the price people are paying for vintage gear these days, you want to KNOW you five figure price is the real deal.

It doesn't hurt the guitar at all.

Besides, if I read things right, isn't bassturtle a dealer? That's why he turned it over.

13. Ok, I recant my lunacy, because I do understand it from that perpective, it's just out of hand sometimes.

I know it doesn't hurt the instrument, but part of me feels when an instrument feels "right" you don't futz with it.

14. I have a friend with a similar '57 behind glass in his shop. He takes it out for special friends (like me) and special gigs. Great buy, but it's too bad we can't always keep things like that.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Unscrewing a few screws isn't exactly non-reversible;)

It would be beyond stupid to buy a vintage instrument without checking it out thoroughly... unless of course you really trust the seller.

I don't trust any seller that much:D

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im confused too, did you sell it? What is 'flipped it?'

17. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    100% correct. I don't take the stuff apart because I like to. In fact it's just the opposite - I hate it...makes me nervous, but as everyone has said, it's the only way to make sure everything is as it should be.

And yes, I'm a dealer.

18. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    +1 When you're talking this kind of money, I'd rip it apart even if it were the pope selling it to me...in fact, I might be more inclined to rip it apart in that case ;) :p

I've actually had people come into my shop with vintage pieces and refuse to let me take the thing apart to check neck/body dates, pot codes, wiring, etc. Without hesitation, I let those people walk.

19. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, sorry. Sold it.