Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just for my friends in Setup - New Pics!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hambone, Nov 10, 2002.

1. By now, everyone that frequents Setup has heard me spout off about something or another as if I really knew what I was talking about. Recently, I realized that I hadn't shared any of my current projects and it could help me avoid the tag of an armchair quarterback. With that in mind, here's the current magnet of my attention

See New Pics below!

This is a chambered walnut Jazz body with an ash/walnut accent stripe down the back. You are looking at the body before the top gets attached. You can see the top in the background. It's a loopy grained, 2 piece, bookmatched piece of walnut as well. I intend to fabricate some pup covers from the drop of the top material so it'll look pretty plain from the front but the back will have the surprise of the stripes. Matched up with a white maple neck and it should be a nice combination

Probably will go with black hardware. No other plans at this time. These things sort of take a life of their own and what winds up in the end is usually quite different from the planned version. But I sort of like it that way :)

2. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Hi! I have a question...what is the advantage of the chambered body (if any)?

Please forgive my ignorance:D

3. For a hack like me, the only point was to make the thing lighter in weight. There WILL be a difference in tone over a totally solid body but what that would be exactly is anyone's guess.

There ARE builders out there that specifically tune these chambers to enhance different qualities of the body but that's way above my head :rolleyes:

4. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Ahhh..got it, thanks!

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    say, that's really sweet, hammy! i've always liked j basses, but they're just too darn big for my three foot tall frame ;) i'm thinkin' a birdseye neck/board would look really sweet on that yonder fiddle. i'm sure you'll keep us posted

6. That looks crap... :p

heehee all this time i thought you polished ceramic cats!

:D:D

Merls

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That is really cool! I like the look of the wood combinations. That is a really beautiful bass.

What about a f-hole for the look, since it is chambered. It would add more acoustic volume, right? (or something. I have no idea)

That is really beautiful though!!! I like it a lot!

8. I dig it Hammy. Now, after I'm done making new bodywork for my bike, I'll have to start some wacky bass building project. I've had enough of you smart and capable guys showing off your skills...with your perfectly crafted examples of superior bass luthiery. Time to me to make something comparitively crappy, to even out the score..

Maybe next year....

Once again, way cool.

9. Looks great Hambone! I might have to commision a custom Ham-bass one of these days. :D

I agree with tuba bass boy about that F hole. I think it would look killer on that body.

10. Why not a P-hole?

:p LOL

But a F-hole would kill. I really am diggin for a semi-hollow bass soon......

11. Cuz I already got one of them, and it's not on my bass. :p

Although, a P-hole on a bass would be cool for a Gwar tribute band. :cool:

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think I am with CG on that one. So how much is your starting price for a custom Ham-bass? :D

13. Or an A-hole heehee :)

:D:D

Merls

14. Thanx for the kind words gents.

I don't think this will have any acoustic volume to speak of since the top and back are a bit thick to actually vibrate. The idea of an "F" hole was intriguing but since the chambers weren't cut to accomodate one, I think it's out of the question for now.

This bass will come in well under the cost for the CAD-CAM bass by about $200. I figure that this will run between $150 and $200 total cost for the instrument. Some of that cost reduction is due to the fact that I'm an incorrigible packrat and have been holding onto these woods for nearly 2 years before tackling the project. I've also stockpiled some nice hardware here and there so those costs will be minimal too.

I don't build for sale yet. I've done one commissioned piece for a guitarist - figgered if it went to hell it was only a guitar body :D It did turn out nice though. It was a laminated ash Telecaster body with a flame ash veneer top, edge binding and special routing for pups.

I've approached my building from the standpoint of making every one a keeper and I sort of get attached to these things through the process of designing and fabricating. My CAD-CAM bass is still one of the best fretless basses I've ever played and that only made me want to do more. This particular Jazz has displaced another parts bass for my time. The new parts bass is an alder body with an Essex neck that'll have active P/J pups. When I delved into the chambered body, I had to set the other aside.

15. CAD CAM bass? Guess I missed that...what program / machines did you use?

16. The CAD-CAM bass was designed in CorelDraw 9, and imported into another program called EnRoute 3 before being carved on a Multi-Cam flatbed router. It turned out great. The work on the front end design payed off with very precise inlets and other routs that fit the hardware perfectly. It was also a good thing to do the carving on such a powerful machine because the body is solid flame maple and that stuff gets to be a bugger if only hand tools were used.

17. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    So Hambone, how's the bass coming along? Any progress since the last post? I can't wait to see it done!

18. Yep, the body is together and I've fiinished the final shaping on it. All of the routes except the pups are done and the wood control cavity plate is finished.I haven't decided yet what combination of pickups I'm using but I will soon. Neck is ready for final finish and that's about it!

ETA - 2 weeks before test assembly - final assembly will be around Christmas.

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow. How does this compare with what a similar bass would cost new?

20. Except for the fact that it isn't possible to buy one off the shelf like this, it wouldn't go for much more than say $600 or so. I look at what some of the manufacturers can put out (by the thousands) and I'm amazed at the quality that can be had for under $500!! This is what I make my comparison to.