Just found a tube amp! And a reel to reel! NAD!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BadJazz, Mar 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BadJazz

BadJazz Totally Elite Hyper-Member Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Just found these two half a block down the road amongst a free pile. A homeless guy took the radio I wanted but I HAD to go back and see what these were.

The amp case looks homemade; no clue what the amp is but I'll hit google as soon as I post this. Any ideas? (The reel to reel is a Roberts, but I'm not as concerned with that.)

qM66MsA.jpg

5C4c9a2.jpg

2. That is a Univox amplifier. Model 1221. It is worth fixin'..... univox 1221.jpg

bobyoung53, Qlanq, BassinCT and 9 others like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Univox U1221. 50w. Made for guitar but might be cool for bass. Don't know...never tried it.

BadJazz likes this.
  4. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Yup, first thing that came up. I'm letting it dry out after a thorough disinfection; I'll update in a while.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    That looks like a magnatone recorder, with a pair of tube (record/playback) preamps.

Pilgrim, xaosbass, dramatwist and 4 others like this.
  6. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    You weren't wrong!

IMG_20200327_213524678.jpg

xaosbass likes this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Sorry, Califone which was the parent company of Roberts. Been decades since I worked on them.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  8. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    The amp is missing a fuse so I can't try it out at the moment. I'll hunt one down.

9. You might want to wait to get some feedback here. Ask yourself- Why is just the fuse holder missing?

10. yea if you do put a fuse in and power it up, maybe have it on a circuit breaker (hell, even a power bar with a switch and breaker on it).

and stay back, and be ready to cut power to the amp FAST.

Very possible it needs some caps replaced... and they may not be that easy to find.

Still, very cool guitar amp head and worth repairing if it's not too much $$$ to do so.

even if mechanics of the tape deck are shot, I hope you could use the tube preamp - lots of work to do there though unless you're lucky with it and it "just works" so you can plug something in and hear output and use it right away... but again watch for shocks and other issues with both of these units.

RocknRay likes this.
  11. oh, and also... DAMN you're lucky!

BadJazz and HaphAsSard like this.
  12. Great finds!

13. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, I'm wondering how a 'homeless guy' would use a radio (or any electrical appliance)... assuming it was corded.
    Good advice on being careful during the plug in.
    Good Find & Good Luck.

14. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    It's best to use a VariAC to power up those old tube amps at reduced voltage. Since most people don't own one an alternative is to wire an 60-100watt incandescent light bulb in series on the AC line in.

BioWeapon, MVE and dab12ax7ef like this.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Could sell it.

Hurricane Jimmie and AudioTaper like this.
  16. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    Trade it for something he needs

Hurricane Jimmie, Inara and equill like this.
  17. I hope you wiped it down good. If no anti-bacterial wipes at least let the sun hit them.

Nice find.

18. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Great finds! OP - are you a Bugatti automobile enthusiast?

19. Amazing array of levers, pivots, springs & whatnot on that recorder! Lots of tweaking

20. BadJazz

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Agedhorse isn't wrong: it's full of tubes and heavy as hell! The amp is a paperweight by comparison. Awesome preamps; I'm hoping they work.