1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just found out an old friend died...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...in the weirdest way.

Saw a picture in the paper of a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. We used to do standup comedy in the same open mikes and he was a veteran by the time I started out. In fact, I was a little unnerved on my first day because he went on before me and had the same last name as me. Also, he was one of the first guys to praise my material. For those two reasons, I really liked the guy and remembered him fondly. After a while, I decided to focus on music and so I drifted. Still, in case you don't know, the underground comedy community is very tight, at least here in my area. Tighter than the music community even. I still consider those people my friends.

So I checked on the comedy club listing and was shocked to find out that this is a memorial show and my friend passed away suddenly in 2003 at age 28! This is a major kick in the pants for me, as I though I was going to see one of my peers doing well. The show will be a benefit and a memorial scholarship fund was started in his name. Small comfort.

Anyway, this is a belated goodbye from me to my friend Dan Crawford. He was a cool guy and I wish he were still around.

http://sf.punchlinecomedyclub.com/detail.html?event_id=217548

2. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You to, huh?

:(

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You knew Dan?

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    My condolences.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That stinks man. Sorry to hear it.

A few years ago I suddenly found out that an old friend of mine had driven his car straight off the sea wall and into the ocean in Galveston and died. It's a weird feeling.

bc