Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just found out I'm a flatwound guy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by denton57, Jan 29, 2006.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I think I'm finally happy with my tone. Ric 4003, TI flats, YBA-200 with Kt-88's and Mullard 12at7's, and an Ampeg 8x10. Practice tonight sounded soooo good. I think the flats really made a difference. Yes, digging in with the TI's and it's string tension was different, but I love the tone. I'll never buy another set of roundwounds. I know, this post dosen't really mean jack $#%# to anybody, but I'm finally happy. I suggest trying flatwounds if you haven't tried 'em yet!

2. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    Everyone told me to forget flats, but when I saw who was using them, I knew that I had to try them.

I feel in love with Chromes on my Ibanez SR905 immediately. I had a set of TI that wouldn't work on my Fender so I put them on my Scheter fretless and they were perfect.

Tried Chromes on my Fender Zone and they were okay. I think it is more me and the bass having a problem.

If you haven't tried flats, you should!

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm with ya!

I just put a set of Chromes on my Fender J last week. I love 'em! Great thump without having to wind the tone knob down to nothing or wait for the zing to mellow out. I also dig the way flats feel under my fingers - smooooooth :D

4. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Same thing with my little Turser Beatle. I played it with the rounds that came on it, and it was like "Ah...something's...not quite right somehow...." I put Roto flats on it and it put a smile on my face. THAT was the sound.

And funny, it (the sound of flats) fits in with a wide variety of music - stuff that you would normally have just gotten rounds for.

I'll probably keep one bass with rounds on it just so I can practice 'not squeaking'.

5. I will never go back to anything other then flats, You get a lot of nice tonewith these, oh yeah!, and right now I'm using the La Bella's Depp Talking Standard set with nylon tape on the ends near the tunning pegs.

6. I love flats.

I don't like that metal clang you get with roundwounds. I'm more of a deep muddy bass kind of guy. :cool:

7. same here Keith, My flats rules, I just love them, and specialy when the la bella company has the good garintee, if you break a set of their strings they will replace you're set for free, nice eh?

:hyper: :ninja: :bassist:

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    The best part about TI flats-- they get even better with age! And, they last *a lot* longer than rounds. I've heard of people using the same set for *years*. I have a set for about 15 months on one bass that gets regular practice and gig use. People talk about TI's being expensive but if I stop and add up the cost of all the roundwounds I'd've gone through in 15 months they are a real bargain.