1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just found out I'm a flatwound guy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by denton57, Jan 29, 2006.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I think I'm finally happy with my tone. Ric 4003, TI flats, YBA-200 with Kt-88's and Mullard 12at7's, and an Ampeg 8x10. Practice tonight sounded soooo good. I think the flats really made a difference. Yes, digging in with the TI's and it's string tension was different, but I love the tone. I'll never buy another set of roundwounds. I know, this post dosen't really mean jack $#%# to anybody, but I'm finally happy. I suggest trying flatwounds if you haven't tried 'em yet!

2. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    Everyone told me to forget flats, but when I saw who was using them, I knew that I had to try them.

I feel in love with Chromes on my Ibanez SR905 immediately. I had a set of TI that wouldn't work on my Fender so I put them on my Scheter fretless and they were perfect.

Tried Chromes on my Fender Zone and they were okay. I think it is more me and the bass having a problem.

If you haven't tried flats, you should!

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm with ya!

I just put a set of Chromes on my Fender J last week. I love 'em! Great thump without having to wind the tone knob down to nothing or wait for the zing to mellow out. I also dig the way flats feel under my fingers - smooooooth :D

4. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Same thing with my little Turser Beatle. I played it with the rounds that came on it, and it was like "Ah...something's...not quite right somehow...." I put Roto flats on it and it put a smile on my face. THAT was the sound.

And funny, it (the sound of flats) fits in with a wide variety of music - stuff that you would normally have just gotten rounds for.

I'll probably keep one bass with rounds on it just so I can practice 'not squeaking'.

5. I will never go back to anything other then flats, You get a lot of nice tonewith these, oh yeah!, and right now I'm using the La Bella's Depp Talking Standard set with nylon tape on the ends near the tunning pegs.

6. I love flats.

I don't like that metal clang you get with roundwounds. I'm more of a deep muddy bass kind of guy. :cool:

7. same here Keith, My flats rules, I just love them, and specialy when the la bella company has the good garintee, if you break a set of their strings they will replace you're set for free, nice eh?

:hyper: :ninja: :bassist:

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    The best part about TI flats-- they get even better with age! And, they last *a lot* longer than rounds. I've heard of people using the same set for *years*. I have a set for about 15 months on one bass that gets regular practice and gig use. People talk about TI's being expensive but if I stop and add up the cost of all the roundwounds I'd've gone through in 15 months they are a real bargain.