Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just found these guys. Really digging them...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bman, Jan 12, 2002.

1. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Ever hear of "The Drive-By Truckers?" OK, maybe I've been living in a cave, but these guys are blowing my mind.

I'd all but given up on new bands lately. They all seemed pretty analogous. Bland. Creed-like. Blah.

Then I got turned on to The Drive-By Truckers. (A rather unfortunate name for a hell of a band.)
    It's sort of a mix between Social Distortion, Lynrd Skynrd and a lighter Horton Heat-type of thing. Twangy-punk-country-rockabilly stuff. I'm REALLY impressed by them.

They have a new album out called "Redneck Rock Opera." It explores the mythos of the idealized south, Skynrd, Muscle Shoals and the Bible belt. Sounds weird but it's mind-blowing.

If I may recommend: "Nine Bullets" and "Angels and Fuselage."
    Angels and Fuselage talks about what it may have felt like going down on the plane with Skynrd - when the engines have died and it's all quiet. Very spooky.

These guys have really re-energized me. It feels great to have come across a band that has this effect. It's been a long time.

2. I haven't heard of these guys, but I'm glad you like 'em! :D I just wanted to comment about you giving up on new bands, Creed has scared a lot of people away from new music. I would enjoy it quite a bit if they went away. But don't be closed minded about new music. My dad use to hate everything new just because it wasn't old! But with a little help from me, he likes Tool and Disturbed :eek: . So all I'm saying is, don't poo poo new bands because they are new. But poo poo Creed until the cows come home.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I havent heard of The Drive By Truckers either,but I'll keep my eyes and ears open for their cd.

I must be the only one here that likes Creed:eek:

::zips up firesuit::

4. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I've seen them live. Not really my kind of music, so I'm not one to comment on them. :D

5. Great band, although they do tend to get a bit sloppy live. Chalk that up to too much PBR. But it is hilarious to hear them do Ain't Talkin Bout Love in it's entirety when they get loaded. Local college station used to play Too Much Sex, Too Little Jesus pretty often.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    FWIW,the latest issue of Rolling Stone mag gave their double cd a 4 star rating.