Just Getting Started...Did I pay too much?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Goofy, Jul 13, 2000.

1. Goofy

Jul 13, 2000
    Did I overpay for my Ibanez SR400? I paid $420 (guitar only). I was thinking about a Fender Squire. I'm just getting started. I can still take back the Ibanez. I don't know much about bass guitars yet. Any ideas?

2. check out musiciansfriend.com, if you paid more than what they are selling it at then you paid too much....

Yamaha RBX260, Rotosound flatwounds, Prolink Monster Bass cables, Crate BX50 combo(practice) Ampeg B3158, SKB hardcase
  3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    if you like what you bought then you didnt pay to much, only you can decide if it was worth it, just take care of it if its expensive gear, i have a squier four string that works fine for me, i have no real problems with it, it sounds great to me, but thats my opinion

4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    u payed a pretty good price i think i would have gotten a cheaper fender jazz bass though instead of the ibanez but whatver fits you is best
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The latest issue of Musician's Friend has the Soundgear400 at $439.99, plus shipping, no gig bag included. So you are a little ahead of their price. Congratulations! MF also sells a hardshell bass case for the SR400 for $79.00. I just checked American Musical Supply. They also offer the Ibanez SR400 for $439.98 (one cent cheaper!) The price does not include a gig bag and shipping is extra. For comparison, a recent advertisement from Interstate does not offer the SR400, but has an Ibanez GSR200 for $199.99, no gig bag and shipping extra. I suspect you will be happier with your SR400. I have an Ibanez SR800. I've had it nine years. I like it for its lightweight and comfortable fretboard. Jason Oldsted
  6. stay away from the Ibanez GSR200, i've had mine for a year, and have had numerous problems with it. the SR400 is built more solidly and sounds a LOT better in my opinion. but if i were you i'd give a try to a Fender MIM (made in mexico) jazz or precision and you can get one for $300 out of Musician's friend.
  7. I think that he did a good job.... although this begs the question of whether or not he looked into getting a good used bass. I recently purchased a good Fender (Squier) P-bass for $150 (Canadian dollars so that's like 50 cents American or something :) ) It was hardly used, the owner of the store said it belonged to a kid who got it for Christmas and gave up, then it had belonged for a short while to a guy who needed a solid bass for recording. All I had to do was replace the pickguard (although how one breaks a pickguard is beyond me)
  8. SavageBass16

Aug 23, 2000
    I think you could have got a Fender Squire for less and there just as good I think especially for beginners but I guess its what you prefer
  9. I think you got a good bass at a really good price. I have a lefty SR400L and I like it a lot. If you dislike the tone you can always upgrade to basslines pickups later. I did.

The neck is so small and fast. I love that neck.

The ibanez SR400 is a very versitle bass due to the p-j pickup configuration. It is an exellent first bass IMO.

As long as your are learning and having fun, you are doing the right thing.
  10. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    The answer is: You did just fine.

Its a good starter bass. Its relatively inexpensive but has decent quality and playability. You dont want a real cheapo and you're not ready to invest much more, so....good choice.

Welcome to the land of Bass!