just getting started, need some advice.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Wazoo, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Wazoo

Feb 24, 2002
    Derby, KS
    Alright, whether this sounds pathetic or not, I'm gonna get straight to the point about this. I've been getting into bass recently. I've played guitar for nearly a year, but i'm still terrible at it. Bass is starting to be more my calling. I don't even have a bass yet, but I was wondering, once I finally get one, where should i start? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Wazoo

Feb 24, 2002
    Derby, KS
    thanks for that input. I really appreciate it. I'm really excited to start. I've only really played a bass once, but one of my friends who was just starting bass got kinda pissed that i was going all out and it was sounding cool. Heh, hopefully my guitar skill will transcend over a bit. Anyway, i can't wait to start. I should have the bass i want in a few weeks.
  3. I'd say - buy yourself a 'teacher'!
  4. I'd agree, nothing will get you going faster and you won't teach yourself wrong habits!
  5. OK Wazoo, hello, and a warm welcome to Talk Bass.

I go with everything that's already been said: very sound advice IMHO.

I'd also add take some time to get familiar with reading musical notation. It'll be worth it in the end. I can't read nor have I ever had a teacher and I'm convinced I've missed out on an enormous wealth of musical skill and knowledge as a result.

I'd also pay great attention to some of the guys on these boards. Not wishing to exclude the others but I've learned loads on various subjects by devouring the words in many threads of such players as; John Turner, Ed Fuqura, Bruce Lindfield, Rickbass1, Xavier. They and many more are top blokes and you can't help but learn from them.

6. Wazoo

Feb 24, 2002
    Derby, KS
    i don't think i have the money for a teacher...as much as I'd like it, i don't think so. What you all have said has already given me some ideas of what i should start learning. Thanks everyone.
  7. If no teacher: definatly hang around this place! You will learn a lot. But you also have to be strict with yourself in learning the basics. Don't just jump into playing song for the sake of playing songs. You will learn very little except how to play some songs.
    To start:
    Get a chart with the fingerboard layout & LEARN IT!
    Get something to show you all the major and minor chords & LEARN THAT.
    Get something with basic blues lines written in standard notation and learn to play some of those by reading.

I found one good book was 'Bass Basics' before I decided to get a teacher. I got it on BN.com. But like I said, I got a teacher, and if theres anyway you could swing it, I would highly recommend it!

Later -
  8. Yes, Libster is the place. I fell into the TAB trap, and Libster is my life saver!

If you can't afford a teacher, get some instructional books or videos. Check out libster, and some other sites. Hang around Talkbass and learn from the Resident pro's (Mike Watt, Mike Dimin, and Steve Lawson), and some of the other guys who have a wealth of info.