Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got a 105Q!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I just got a 105Q. You guys don't know how happy I am. Unfortunately i'm kinda becoming a wah whore. It's much more special when you use it less!

So far i've been able to play "Calm Like a Bomb," "Cochise," "N.I.B.," and "War Within a Breath;" and it's been sounding awesome. I used a Guv'nor on all of them, but on "Calm Like a Bomb" I used the Octavider on my Amp.

Now i've got a couple questions.
    1. What do you like your Q setting at? Right now, mine is ALMOST maxed.
    2. Octave question- Is it better to have an octave pedal beginning of the loop or end?

So right now my board goes:
    Brawly 6 string--> Marshall Guv'nor--> 105Q--> Phaser--> Digital Amp Effects (normally delay, octave, or auto-wah)--> amp. I'll try to get pics!

Thanks.

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Lucky Bastard! I want one, but don't really have the cash. Am trying to find someone who will trade for a Morley PBA-2! What part(s) of Calm Like A Bomb do you use the octavider for?

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    [​IMG]

I use the octavider for the whole song... basically because I have to screw a knob (lost the cord to the foot switcher) to turn it off or on. The intro gets REALLY low when you hit the F#, but it sounds fine pretty much.

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    And you have an Original Guv'Nor you git! :mad:

Lol. How's the phaser?

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks to xan! I love it sooo much. If you find one, GET IT!

It's amazing actually. I think it's so inexpensive because it's solid plastic. It's not true bypass either (I don't think) but it was still the best $8 i've ever spent. :hyper:

6. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    LMAO $8.

And yeah, I been after one on ebay, but always was outbid. Now that I actually have the money they all seem to be going for more :meh:

7. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Yeh, I love my 105Q, it's possibly the most important pedal in my lineup next to a good distortion and an envelope filter.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    BuyItNow my good friend. ;)

AND ANOTHER QUESTION:
    Is it okay to store my 105Q with the Wah Down? My pedalboard is a briefcase, and when I close it, it pushes the pedal down. Would doing this long term be bad? Do you guys even understand what I mean?

Thanks.

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Nice!!

I can't think the electronics care how it's stored.

The spring is a piece of steel wedged against the pedal and the base, and it's pretty durable. I'd say you shouldn't have a problem, as long as you don't store it that way for months at a time.

I noticed you put your Distortion before your Wah.. I always thought you were supposed to do it the other way?

10. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Distortion before Wah gives the RATM Growly Wah tone. I have mine set up that way all the time, because Wah-ing into Distortion doesnt sound good at all with my setup. I don't think it's anything to do with my setup, it's just I dont think it sounds any good, you can't hear what the wah is doing with the distortion after it.

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    hmmm.. looks like I get to re-set-up my pedal board... I was going Funk (Wah, Bassballs) -> Chunk (Big Muff, Hot Tubes) -> Modulation -> Reverb -> Amp.

I love Timmy's growl, and that's what I've been after, but I can just never quite get it with my wah going into either my Muff, or my Hot Tubes... I'll get a edgy tone when the wah hits a certain threshold.. then it goes away...

Thanks for the tip!!

So.. uhm should I stick the Bassballs after my Chunk section, too?

12. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Bassballs has distortion on it too, am I right?

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, I put the distortion first because I like a distorted wah sound ala Timmy C. versus a wahed distorted sound if you catch my drift.

14. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Kinda *L*

I don't use the distortion if I can help it.. it's more of a buzzing, farting soound.. and when distortion is engaged, the sensitivity knob becomes the gain. I run BB at a sublte level, so with the distortion on, I lose volume.

I'll try it and see how it sounds.

15. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    In that case, put the Distortion BEFORE the BassBalls, and don't use the distortion on the bassballs :)

16. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ok re-did my board... Chunk into funk..

and wow... yeah much better!!!

no more edy wah tone.. just straight up growl.. I gotta do some adjustments, but ya know, that's part of the deal!!