1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got a 1976 For Grand Torino..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Radical Edward, Nov 21, 2010.

1. I both love and hate it. It's classy-ish, but drives like a boat. In pretty good condition. Runs amazing, especially for what it is. Has only about 100k miles on it. Has an 8 track player though...
    So.. suggestions for 8 tracks? Colors to paint the car?
    I'm thinking reddish-orange with 2 black stripes down it.. my boyfriend has poor tastes and thinks green with white stripes.
    Ugh.. Makes me wanna vomit.
    So yeah... What to do??!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!??!

I'm hyper. Sorry... *pant* I'll try to calm down.

2. do you mean *Ford* Gran Torino?

3. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    That movie was awesome.

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    No Pics... :D:D

5. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    No Car?^

6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Seriously, rip out the 8 track player and install something that doesn't require using the lamest audio format of all time. Even a tape player would be better.

7. Aw, you have to keep the 8-track just for comedy value. I'm sure you can find some great Abba tapes on e-bay.

8. I was just thinking the same thing. Leave the 8-track where it is, fully functional, stick a modern sound system in the glove box, and mount an A-B switch somewhere out of sight.

9. If I'm not mistaken someone makes a conversion kit that'll let you store mp3's in a flash drive designed to look like an 8 track, and a receiver that LOOKS old but is state-of-the-art.

Looking for it on Google, I'll post a link if I can find it.

10. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    EastwoodMyLawn.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Nice Ride!

I like 'Grabber Blue' on those... but it I don't think it was an option in 76.

What color is it now?
    What color is the interior?

Hit ebay for a box of 8 tracks and get yourself a selection of 70s classic rock, r&b and disco. Personally I'd ditch the player for a modern system though.

12. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    No you didn't. You didn't post the pics... :spit:

Isn't that in the rules that if you claim to have something you must post pics :D

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No photos, no land yacht...

I love giant old cars, my first was a 1987 El Camino and the thing turned heads no matter where it went. A Grand Torino would do the same.

But please, no hood stripes... what color is it now?

14. this is the first thing that comes to mind:

p129492_large+1976_Ford_Gran_Torino_Limited+Front_End_View.

And keep the 8-track. It can actually sound quite good.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    For 8-tracks....get TNT from Tanya Tucker to rock while you cruise around.

I would paint it yellow with a black stripe. Does it have the original rims on it?

SHOW US SOME PICTURES!!!!!

-Mike

16. DavidE

DavidE

Feb 7, 2010
    +1! The classic red tomato with the white stripes.

17. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
  18. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Tune into K-Billy's Super Sounds of the Seventies instead,

And if you're the 12th caller, you'll win two tickets to the monster truck extravaganza being held tonight at the Carson Fairgrounds, featuring Big Daddy Don Bodein's truck, 'The Bohemiath'.
    The 12th caller wins, on the station where the 70s survived ; )

19. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    My first car was a '74. $600 in 1987. Had the 8-track bolted to the transmission hump. Found the Eagles Greatest Vol. 2 for it. Took me two years after I got rid of it to stop pausing in the middle of one of the songs (right where the track switched). :D

God I miss that car. :bawl: Would love to see pictures of yours.

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I made my first and only "forehead spiderweb" in a 76 Grand Torino windshield, when my Mom smashed our car into a tree. She had reached down to the front passenger side floor for a Tupperware salad bowl that slid off the tranny-hump. She leaned over, turned the wheel with her, drove straight on into it. Me in the front seat. Seat belts? We don't need no stinking seat belts. I was 11. It explains a lot for my current mental state... I actually have a picture somewhere...

We had the car 2 weeks. My Dad was PLEASED.