1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got a 5 string Pointers??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by joegeezer, Nov 27, 2006.

1. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    After 37 years of playing, I just took the plunge to a 5 string. Looking for pointers and advise on helping me get used to it.
    Hopefully someone who has switched from a four, after years of playing can maybe give some advise on things they have learned, to help a guy to not fall into bad habits with it. A few of the pro's I have talked with, have said they wouldn't go back to a 4 anymore, once they were used to their 5.It won't be here for about a week, and I ordered a new set of DR Highbeams for it, and will get it set-up and ready to play within a week or so. HELP!!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, some love their 5's, and others like me abandoned it almost completely after an initial infatuation. But to get used to it, all you have to do is play it. And remember that your E is no longer the lowest string.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Just ease into it. If you have a few favorite practice routines that you'd use on a 4 string, just move them a string down. The rest is musical judgement.

4. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    +1 on remembering the low B.

This next tip isn't for you so much as for any guitarist you play with. If they have never palyed with someone with a 5, and you come up with a line, tell them to ignore the low B. If they are looking to you for the bass line in a new song, that 5th string will mess them up everytime. Niether of the guitar players in my band now had played with a 5 string player. It took me about 2-3 practices to get them to remember that the low E isn't my low note. After that everything started to sound in tune again.

5. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    It wont take long to get used to, I jump from five to four to six ect all the time, the fours the only one that feels a little wierd now.

6. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    My 4 feels like home, on the 5 I can't travel as easy and fast as I can on the 4...

....on the 4 though, I do miss that B string. You do get accustomed to it and start doing more licks on the e-string (I find).

7. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    dont think of it initially as having lower notes at your disposal. think of it as being able to play low E and F stuff in closed positions now. when you get used to it you will start to find a use for those lower notes (like grabbing a fifth but a lower one. or grabbing a low octave etc)
    for me at least it was all about extending my range while reducing shifting. and being able to play in closed positions. and never having to drop my E string to D for that occasional oddball song during a gig.
    now i tend to be at a loss when i pick up a four.

8. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    +1 on this part of the post

It took me awhile to get used to my 5er. I still have 4s around and love to play 'em, but I really enjoy the 5.

It may feel a little weird having the extra string but play it ALOT. I'd only practice on the 5er and in about a week it started to feel normal. What kinda helped me was to remember the A string is in the middle. I don't know if this helped anyone else or not.

Once in a while I'll have a brain fart, esp when writing, and think the B is the E, even after 7 years!