just got a Ampeg Portabass 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by octaverazor, Sep 4, 2010.

1. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Just bought a Ampeg Portabass 800 to replace my GK Backline 600 and i am very happy with the replacement. Running it through a Gk blx 4x10 and a peavey 1x15. The increase in headroom was just what i needed and i finally found out i like the Ampeg sound better than the GK sound. Plus the double inputs give me a lot of options for my signal path. I also picked up the last Fulltone Bass Drive Mosfet in the New Orleans area as i believe they are discontinued. The guy at counter was kind of mad. He told me after he checked my out that he was planning on picking it up when he got paid. Well it"s mine now and is the best sounding overdrive i have heard on bass.

2. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Just thought I'd share

3. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    No comments?

4. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    So they don't make those anymore?

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Most certainly "they" do not.

The sales guys at SLM got the product folks to take the whole Porta-bass line out back and "shoot it in the head"......

The P-b line suffered from very bad speakers that nobody would admit were bad, until the line got labeled as "very quiet" amps etc...... which, with the original speakers, they were.

if decent speakers had been sold with them, I think the line had possibilities......

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    glad you got one. people seem to like to get on ampeg's ass for not being innovative but considering that was one of the first production lightweight heads in existence if not the very first, i think that they did a pretty good job with innovation, even if the cabs sucked.

7. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I don"t know about the cabs. They had a 2x10 or 2x12 cab with it, but I just went with the head. I paid $400.00. Good price i thought, .50 cents a watt. Seeing how they went for almost a grand brand new. It is light i guess considering. Maybe not compared to the new utralights. My shoulder almost fell asleep with the bag slung over it so it"s not that light. The Bass-Drive rocks hard too. i really have to find a 18v supply for it.

8. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    yes i have a comment
    I went in there saturday to buy it
    and they said it sold on friday:eyebrow:

9. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Sorry cruiser, you talking about the head or the pedal. I was at Guitar Center at 10:45 a.m. friday morning, they open at 11:00. The first one in the store. I've been eyeing both for about a month. Finally had a great pay check. Was hoping the pedal was there. And after seeing the head in person and playing on it, just pulled the trigger. The pedal was only $140.00 bucks too. Not to put salt in the wound.

10. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    the head!
    it's ok!!
    good things come to those that are late:D

11. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Too bad about the speakers, though I'm not sure the world was looking for another 20 lb head in 2004. I would think the term "Portabass" would lead folks to believe that the that the amps were somewhat lightweight, unless they were trying to use the linguistic tie-in with "Portaflex".

At any rate, I had an encounter with one of these last week. I was actually in a store looking for the SVT 7Pro. They only had the big SVT classic clones, and the SVT 3Pro. the 3 Pro didn't sound bad, but I was on the verge of leaving when the sales guy and I spotted the Portabass 800 under a bunch of stuff.

I was immediately drawn to the control set - 2 channels with separate EQ, 4 inputs (hi and low gain for each channel), sweepable mid/cut boost, hi and low boost switches... pretty much everything an old fart likes on a preamp, especially one that uses 2 or 3 basses on a gig. So, what the heck, I plug it in...

... and I LOVE it!!! :eek: Smooth, rich, defined, punchy, detailed, and on some experimentation works with a variety of different basses and cabs quite well. So, it came home with me, and darned if it isn't an awesome dance partner for my Berg AE212. It may not be the loudest 500 watts into 4 ohms I've ever heard, but a he** of an amp nonetheless. A shame it never made it big in the biz, likely one of the best production amps that nobody knows about.

Unless there were reliability issues on this amp, I'd like to render a hearty - if somewhat belated - "Job Well Done" to whoever at Ampeg dreamed up the Portabass 800.

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    We need to see a picture or we'll assume the head DON'T EXIST!!

:eek:

13. sssphd

sssphd

May 27, 2011
    The 250 112 comes with a nice amp but lousy speaker. The combo pushed all 250 through 4 ohms but sounded anemic when I got it.

Replaced the 12 with a B&C 8 ohm similar to the one Markbass uses, drilled a hole in the plate and put in a parallel 1/4 jack. Amazing difference the speaker makes. It's about 8 pounds heavier but the box has a built-in retractable handle and wheels, and now it is loud and clear enough for any gig that does not require miking the drums. I thought I would use an extension cab with it but it has never been necessary.

14. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I've been playing the head for a few months now and have to say "I dig it." I have it paired with an Ampeg 4x10. Sounds sweet. The twin pre's are more useful than I first thought. Like running a clean and dirty signal. I even ran one pre with my Line 6 POD for a kind of Chris Squire tone, kind of. Now there is a player that I lend it to that shares the same practice space. He uses one pre i use the other. That way there is no messing with the settings back and forth. Good tone. Very versatile with the twin pres. I got it for a good price as they are not very popular I suppose. I am in no hurry to get another head. Very happy with the thing. Viva La PortaBass!!!!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021