Just got a Bag End s15xd

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gyoon, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'm pretty pleased with the purchase. I got it for $300 Canadian, which I figure is a good price for this thing.

The cabinet is small. Small enough that I'm pretty secure in bringing it on the Toronto subway system. I've seen other 15" cabinets and they look like hotel mini bars. This thing is pretty compact, 18"x18"x15.5", 50 lbs or so.

It's just a little boxy sounding, not quite as open sounding as my lds 2x8, although I should say it does sound quite a bit louder than the 2x8 with the same amp settings. There is something really quite articulate with the LDS that this 15" cabinet doesn't quite seem to match. Maybe not such a fair comparison. It does kick every Yorkvill 15" I've ever tried right into the water.

The most surprising thing is that it doesn't go as low as the LDS 2x8. When I turn up the enhance knob on my eden 330, the lds gives me a very focused, almost ominous low end. This cabinet, not so much.

What it does do well is pump out some serious beef. I would have no problems using this on a rock gig where I would need to be upfront and thick. The LDS doesn't seem to do that quite as well.

Some more minor quibbles:

The speakon jack doesn't seem to work. I've heard somewhere that there are different types of speakon jacks. I wonder if this is the case here. I'm using a Planet Waves speakon cable, which has worked in the past with an Ampeg 4x10 Classic cabinet. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Also, the handles are a little weird. They are spring loaded handles (with really cushy rubber handles. Thanks Bag End!) but they are positioned vertically rather than horizontally. I guess this cabinet wasnt' meant to be carried with both at the same time.

Not a bad cabinet at all, really. It really picks up the transients, thanks to the co-ax tweeter. Sometimes I wish I could attenuate it, but it works well, doesn't interfere with the sound. I would just like the flexibility whenever finger noise gets in the way. Plenty of beef in a compact package. A really decent sound. I was looking at Epifani, Bergantino, Eden 15" cabs, but this will do very nicely, and for the price I can't complain. Out of these three, I've only tried the Eden. It sounded good, but was huge in size. I think that the Bag End gives all the sound and almost all the output but in a smaller compact package.

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    you are a very lucky man!!

I have wanted Bag End's since the first time I played through the cab you just got. Such a creamy thick tone, and great response!! One day, I will upgrade my setup to a Bag End 2x10 & 1x15...one day.
  3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have a compact 15" cab too. It's an Eminence Delta Pro 15 in a box just shade bigger than yours. The low low end isn't there, but it's about the loudest 40 pounds around. Not having enough box to pump out low fundamentals makes the midrange much more apparent too, and I like the beef of big-speaker midrange.
  4. Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yeah, it's definitely got some beef to it alright.

I was re reading my review and it seemed like I might have been a little indifferent. I really do like the cabinet. The combination of size, weight and sheer volume make it something I will want to keep for a while. Just that, compared with my Low down sound 2x8 with mid tweeter, it's not as articulate or as detailed. But who needs that when you're pumping out eighth notes and crazy decibels!

5. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i have a 2x10 and want to upgrade and i was looking at adding a 15, instead of replacing my 2x10, and i found that the size of the bag end is what makes me want to get it. most 15's are monsters in what seem to be 4x10 or larger boxes.

i want to play one first though.