Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Got a Borders Gift Card - Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Wolfman200, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Hey Guys, I'm looking for some suggestions on good stuff to buy.
    I'm looking for some albums that contain great bass playing but not necessarily a solo CD type thing. What I mean is I don't want to hear a famous bass player overdubbing a bunch of stuff, just a band that has a good bass player - you know, something I could learn from.

Some new funky type stuff would be good. I've got a little P-Funk and some Earth, Wind, And Fire, but that's it. Of course I've got some Jaco, and a band that has a sound along the lines of "Come on, Come Over" would be perfect.

I'm also a fan of classic rock, but already own a lot of that(especially Beatles :) ) .

Any ideas?

(Thanks in advance)

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    new marcus miller CD silver rain

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Death From Above 1979 - if you like QOTSA then you will dig them. They are like QOTSA but danceable.

Faith No More - Angeldust

Clutch - anything by Clutch is quality stuff, but check out Pure Rock Fury as a starting point.

All three are rock oriented, but not strictly limited to the genre.

4. Just listened to some samples of Marcus Miller's album (Holy Shiiyaat!). Is it mostly funk/R&B or is it all over the map? (That's good too.)

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Herbie Hancock - Palm Grease
    Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind
    Medeski Martin and Wood - End of the World Party

Since you liked Come on Come Over, you might look at some Sam and Dave albums. They did Soulman, and are who sang on that track as well.