Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got a brand new Eden Navigator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Feb 16, 2006.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    OMG, I cant believe my ears. I have not put this thing thru the true test yet (a live show) but so far I am very impressed. The tone controls on this unit are very powerful. you don't need to add very much of anything to get a kick ass sound. So far my favorite features are the tube blend and the enhance control. I am using the navigator with a QSC PLX 1602 and a Schroeder 1212 and 1210. It really makes my Modulus Quantum shine. Anyway, I will give a full review once I put it through the paces, but so far so good.:hyper:

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, i dig mine lots...i use it with a crown power amp and an aphex preamp to fatten it up a little more...the navigator is a sweet preamp

3. Congrats on the new gear! One quick note though. I had a navigator for a couple years and here's my advice.

[warning on]
    The Enhance knob makes you sound really cool when practicing at home, but you WILL be lost in the mix on a gig.

[warning off/]

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    seansbrew, have you had much experience with eden amps before?? I love the semi-parametrics and the tube pre of the WT300,400,550,800 etc...

congratulations, I'm eager for a review. I'm gonna order a wt550 tomorrow and maybe a navigator for my big rig sometime down the road to replace my RBI.

:bassist:

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I put the Navigator on the short list of gear I have let go that I wish I had kept. Man, it is so nice. If I go back to a power/pre rig, no question in my mind that this is the pre I will use.

-Mike

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the beginning of this year has been an eye opening one, since alot of the Eden stuff that i thought i'd never love has suddenly become one of my more favorite pieces of gear!

congrats on the pre. :cool:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have to say, of all the eden gear, the preamps in their units are my favorite part. the nav is identical to the wt series (i.e., 550, 400, 800, etc) with the exception of a few bells and whistles. I second the warning re: the enhance control, generally any more than 9 o'clock on the dial is too much for a gig, and remember the enhance is not boost/cut, it is off all the way to the left. All that said, i find the flat tone of the ened pres to be very nice with a pleasing warmth. the eq is stupid powerful and only requires minor tweaks. Once you get the hang of it the frequency centers on the semi-parametric become your best pal in correcting room or bass anomalies.

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I enjoyed the Navigator I had for a while. Not sure what was up with mine--it was a little noisier that I wanted it to be. That said, there was no denying the quality of the tone.

I would add to the comments about not using the EQ more than one or two notches off flat. Even the smallest adjustment seems to produce noticeable effect. Making the kind of sweeping adjustments common on other amps (like swr) can really turn your tone on its head.

Enjoy!! Say, are you selling your SM-500?

BTW--here's a link to my old navigator review.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197673&highlight=navigator

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congratulations! The Navigator was my first "high end" preamp, and I still have it. I've been fortunate to play through a number of very excellent preamps, and I can honestly say that none of them blow the Navigator out of the water. It can compete with the best, in my book.

As with the others, I do not use extensive Enhance, but I do think that a setting of 9 o'clock on the Enhance knob, with all other tone controls set "flat" yields the best starting tone, IME/IMHO. The parametric EQ's are great for dealing with room issues or feedback (if you play ABG or upright).

Enjoy!

Tom.

10. I also think 8:00 - 9:00 on the Enhance sounds most natural. To my ears, the Eden WT preamps need a little Enhance or they sound too mid heavy.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Agreed!

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Another vote for the enhance at 9 oclock. The Navigator is a great preamp. I for one, love the Eden sound.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What the heck, I'll vote for 9 o'clock on the enhance knob too. :)

Truth be told, I wasn't really sure what it did, so I never adjusted it on mine.

-Mike

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Congrats and welcome to the club! I run mine through a Carvin FET1000 power amp and I have the BBE Maxcom compressor (w/built-in sonic maximizer) in the effects loop.

All of my eq settings are at or near flat as well. No need for anything more.

Hell of a preamp all the way around - I love mine to death!

15. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing. The natural (for sake of a better description) sound of my Schroeder cabs is low mid heavy. My Modulus has alot of mids as well. The enhance dial seems like it was meant for this setup. I figure on a live gig the enhance will most likely find its position at between 8:00 and 9:00 o'clock. But in my practice room, 12:00 o'clock is fun :D .
    I have a question: How do you balance the Gain + Master + Power amp levels? How do I get the best signal to noise ratio? Should I run the pre- amp hot, with the power amp levels low? Or do I turn the pre amp down (not so hot a signal) and turn the power amp up?
    Also, I agree with the comments on the rediculous power of the dials. Subtle additions or subtractions of the dials makes a big difference.
    One more thing, is there a real tube in this thing? If so, what kind?

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I tend to run the input where the compressor tells me to, the output at ~ 5, and the power amp all the way up. Then I either turn the input down if it's too hot, or just make volume adjustments with my fingerstyle attack.

17. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Here is a pic of my new rig. I have opted to go with a small rack in the interest of keeping my rig highly portable. I use a high end power strip in place of a rack mounted power conditioner. I also will start using a high end pedal tuner inplace of a rack tuner. I would rather have my tuner in front of me on the floor, as opposed to behind me. If this method does not work out, I will use my 8 space rack, or buy a six space.
    [​IMG]

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Eden+Modulus+Spector Euro = Jealous Planet Boulder

Nice rig, man!!

19. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Yes, it does have a preamp tube. I'm not 100% sure, but I think with Eden's you don't get as much variation when swapping tubes as you would with some other preamps. I don't recall the technical reason why, but that's what my fuzzy memory tells me. Therefore, I've never really spent much time swapping tubes on my Eden's like I might on some other amps/preamps. Can anyone verify??

Regarding preamp and power amp levels. I usally set my power amp level to 100% (I'm using my Navigator with a Crest LT-1000). I start with the preamp gain right around 12 o'clock, and then adjust slightly more or less depending on the bass I'm playing. I then use the Master Level to control the output volume. I also prefer the Enhance anywhere from fully off to 9 o'clock. The only EQ I add may be a slight boost around 200Hz - but usually my Eden's run with the EQ flat.

I typically run my bass volume at 100% for a passive bass, and about 70-80% for an active bass, then adjust the preamp gain as needed from 12 o'clock to avoid clipping.

The Eden Navigator manual actually has a very detailed step-by-step setup guide for dialing in your sound. It just doesn't really mention the power amp levels (I don't think).

Congrats on a great preamp!

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My personal experience backs this up. I've tried a lot of different tubes (including some really nice NOS tubes) in my Navigator, and to my ear, it didn't make a bit of a difference. I will say, though, that in many other tube preamps, I can definitely hear a difference between preamp tubes.

But again, I love the sound of my Navigator, so if you can get that sound with pretty much any tube, then all the better, perhaps, eh?

Tom.