Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Got a Cirrus 6! [pics - now 56k friendly!]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Apr 15, 2004.

1. After looking around a bit, I managed to spot a gorgeous redwood cirrus 6 on ebay a bit over a week ago. I took the plunge, and I couldn't be happier! Apart from sharing my happiness and some pictures, I was wondering if anyone had good any good string suggestions. Right now, I'm thinking about Dean Markley SR2000s since I've had pretty good luck with them in the past and because juststrings.com (great people) carries them.

Now, the part that I'm sure everyone came for: a couple of pictures. These are the pictures taken by the previous owner (might be a TB member, but I'm not sure) since I do not have a digital camera. I'll try hosting these on my webspace, but if they don't show up let me know. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

edit: made last 3 images links in order to make the thread 56k friendly :)

http://www.missouri.edu/~dmm912/images/Cirrus02.jpg

http://www.missouri.edu/~dmm912/images/Cirrus03.jpg

http://www.missouri.edu/~dmm912/images/Cirrus04.jpg

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    That is one of the Best looking Peavey basses I've ever seen! Congrats!

3. Seckse

4. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    Nice! I own Cirrus 5 in redwood and i really like it...

I´ve tried a lot of strings on it, but i liked Peaveys own Cirrus strings and Dáddario Slowound best...but i´ve continued to put the Cirrus strings on it.

5. Congrats on the new Cirrus!!!
    Your's is almost a twin of mine. I bought mine about 6 months ago and still get excited every time I pick her up.
    I haven't had to change the strings yet but the stock strings aren't bad at all imho.

6. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Very nice!

7. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Funny I was just going to suggest Cirrus own strings and then some D'Addario XL170s... I have a Bubinga 4 but want a redwood or maple 5...

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I got an email from secretdonkey the other day, he noted

secretdonkey is a high priest of the cirrus, you might PM
    him and ask his recommendations and experiences.

Thor

9. Cirrus 6's RULE!!!

Kudos, man.

10. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    I've had my Cirrus 5 (alder/maple) for a while and have the following observations:

-Cirrus (original) Strings: Very good overall sound. Nice and full/punchy. Last significantly longer than D'addarios.
    -D'addario XL's: Really liked this string (initially), but faded fast. Good full sound out of the gate, but after a week or so, was constantly EQ'ing to get more punch. They just seemed to die rather quickly.
    -DR LowRiders: Great stainless steel strings. Sound very 'pingy' at first. Good for slap/tap. Mellow within a week. Sound good for a month, then back to the EQ game to get more punch. I'm used to harsh strings too, but these really eat your fingers up. Worth it IMHO, for the short term. The B came unraveled when installing. Called DR, they shipped a new one asap (no cost).....EXCELLENT!!!
    -Elixir Nanoweb: Didn't think I'd like these, but a few cats recommended highly. Sound very round and musical, not much zing, harmonics are ok with EQ'ing, but how they sound out of the box, is how they sound for MONTHS. I haven't touched EQ at all.....for MONTHS. They have a nice full sound, slap/tap is good, with a somewhat softer and more pillowy sound. Still, they cut fine, and are plenty punchy. No piano string zing tone like fresh DR's, but good overall...for a long time. Coating doesn't come off like the old dental floss Elixirs (tried these on guitar years ago as a promo), and your fingers will love them.

Those were my observations so far, as with anything YMMV.

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    how funny, the same day i'm looking at a redwood MTD.

i'm with the other TBer, nicest Cirrus i've EVER seen.

f

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Pretty hot Peavey action. :D Great looking top.

That's a pretty nice looking case. Is that made by Peavey? It would almost have to be, seeing as it fits so well. (I like the green, too. :D)

13. Congrats on the bass, Dave. She's a beauty.

The last Cirrus 6 I saw was so beaten up... :(

It makes yours look that much nicer.

Enjoy her.

Mike :)

14. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Welcome to ther Cirrus Club !!!

I`ve had mine (4 string Maple / Alder) for six months now, and I really love it (check my review)
    Still has the original Cirrus strings, and like them a lot.

Congrats.

P.S: Has to be nicest I`ve seen, along with Embellisher`s Tiger Eye 6

15. I have a Cirrus 4(bubinga,maple) I have had it for about a month,the strings are the originals. They are very pingy,what strings should I get to stop this while still being able to slap. I want a deep sound for fingerstyle playing and fairly bright for slapping.

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Where's my alter boy? :eek:

The Sunbeams I mentioned there were going on my old Yamaha fretless... the Cirrus always gets DR Fatbeams. Not that Sunbeams would be a bad choice for the Cirrus, mind you! Folks in other threads have (wisely) suggested going to a nickel string to reduce the aggressive bite and "ping" that the Cirrus is capable of. The Fatbeams, IMO, give you more warmth than most stainless, without letting you forget they're stainless.

:)

Congrats on the new Cirrus, Dave... she is indeed a beaut! :cool:

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice to see somebody mention my six, she was starting to get jealous!:D

Dave, that is very nice! SR2000s sound very good on my Cirrus, and so do DR Longnecks.

18. that looks great, I have had a cirrus 5 for the past year and is my main bass. great basses, and that one looks real good too. I was going to get a redwood one real similar to that but found a great deal on a flamed maple one that I could not pass up.

19. Thanks everyone for the compliments and string advice. I just ordered some SR2000s, but if they don't cut it, I'll be sure to keep your suggestions in mind!