Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Got A Conklin GT7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalloid, Feb 20, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I was at guitar center, buying an amp,(Ampeg B2R and BSE410HLF for $800), when I fell in love with the Ibanez BTB1005 prestige bass.

The batteries were almost dead and I thought it sounded like crap, so the sales goof took it into the back and tried to fix it.

While he was in the back (prb reading some manual!), I picked up the Conklin GT7 bass.

It felt just better than the Ibanez, was $800 (their cost), and had two more strings.

Keep in mind that this is my first bass! Though I played drums and guitar for a lifetime...

He came back with the Ibanez ready to roll and I interrupted and asked him to compare to the two. He said the ibanez has a nice combination of woods, but the conklin was like playing the whole tree!

So I said, "I'll take it!"

I love the bass to death and it sounds wonderful...Just a small (but importiant) quiestion:

How is this monster tuned? I figure it is B, E, A, D, G, B, E. Just dont want to do anything wrong, i/e tune a string too hi.

Thanks for the help, and if it wasnt for the few blurbs about Conklin basses on here, I would have never considered it!

Thanks!

2. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    booooooooooooooooooooooooooooyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good job, mettalloid. i've been playing conklins 7 and 8 string customs for about 8 years now, those groove tools basses are excellent instruments for about 1/4 the price.

that tuning is fine, that's the main tuning i use.

you ought to email bill conklin and let him know how much you dig the bass :D.

the email is probably on their website, www.conklinguitars.com

4. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    The Low B string sounds "dead" almost. The other strings sound sharp and bright, but the B sounds somewhat dull.

I have noticed this in all basses, just more in this one. Obviously, as you go to the lower notes, you loose sound. Is this a problem or something everyone experiences?

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    That tunning is correct, but a more "Standard" tunning would be:

B E A D G C F

All fourths

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    get new strings, and also use a slightly heavier low B string. the gt7's are shipped with a .127 low B. i like the .135".

often times, when these basses are in a shop for a while, they get tried out a lot more than the usual 4 or 5 string, since most people haven't played a 7 before. i've seen many of these basses with dead or almost dead strings at guitar center's, otherwise excellent basses that sounded bad because of dead strings.

so get some new strings on that puppy. :D

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    A GT7 for $800??!?

you DAWG you. I have never seen one for less than $1100. Was it the last demo or something?

Enjoy!

eli@ooohi'mgreen.com

8. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Eli:

In my past experiences Guitar Center has not always been the best. The sales people BLOW, but the return policy keeps me coming back :)

The reason I get such awesome prices is because a music store in Maryland got bought out by G.C, but they did not re-staff. Those people know so much more, and are lots more friendly.

They gladly let you see everything they see on their computer, including: their cost from manufactrer, the "advertising" markup fee, their min. sales price, manufacturers list price, and the floor sales price.

To my knowledge, they dont sell guitars or amps at the standard floor price.

I live aout 1.5 hours away form that store, and 5 mins from an original guitar center. Let me tell you its well worth the drive!

Next time you walk into guitar center, ask what the minimum price is, and why they wont give it to you for that...See if they don't hesitate a little...

Obviously, people want to make the money, but you figure, if they want you coming back, they might as well just give you a deal the first time around :)

9. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    metal they have gt7s at veneman? crap i wanted to try one but i never saw them there. :( were there any more when you went?

10. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    A new GT-7 for $800 is a GREAT value! There was a thread somewhere about being restricted to just one bass and I thought of my Conk first. They are soooo much fun!

11. I am extremely jealous, I want one....I was looking at a sixer today, but I think I want 7......Life is full of too many decisions......

12. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Basslax:

Yeah, Venemans is where I got it. There are two more there.

There is a purple GT7 left on the floor. Unless you are using it home (hiding you masculinity) then I strongly reccommend you not buying it. The straplocks are missing, the bottom, back side of it has been eaten up, and the nexk seems warped.

There is also a $1600 bill dickens signature model left. It is a natural color (like mine). I didnt even bother looking at it due to the price.

I am sure they would order a new one for you. I don't know what they can do for you price wise on a special order one, but they are on special for $999 right now.

If you are interested in getting it I say go to the black guy named Kevin in guitars and tell him that Joe, the one who bought the Conk told you about it, he may be able to give you a nice price...

I am pretty sure he will know who I was, everyone was extremely suprised to see me walk out with one, after it had been on the floor forever.

I heard from the guys who are renovating there, that they are totally re doing the insides and they are having a Grand Opening in April...Looking forward to it!

Good luck.

P.S- You can talk to me on AIM, my SN is MeTTaLLoiD, i'd be happy to chat.

13. Good deal! i haven't seen one at GC for less than $900. Has anyone tried one of the fretless GT7s?

14. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    thats cool. i always sit there playing on warwicks for 40 minutes then walk out after no purchases sept for a pick :D so the dudes there dont like me. i used to go there every tuesday b/c i had a lesson next door so they got tired of me ;) . they did give me a good deal on my spector so ill see bout the gt. ill im you if i see you on

15. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    THEY OFFER 'EM IN FRETLESS??!??!!?

NOW my bank account is in trouble...

16. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    JT you should get a GT7 to be your "plaything"

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, eli, they come in fretless too - the fretboard is really cool, made outta this material that's sorta like a countertop - feels really good.

the only problem i had with the ones i played is that they had fretlines. all in all, though, very cool

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the gt's are a bit wide for my wee fingers - i like the bill dickens model though.

but then again i have 8 or 9 of the custom conklins, so i don't really need anymore playthings :D

19. Sweet deal! I've played the GT7 and I think it kicks ass. My former teacher (he quit :() had a custom Conklin 7 that was made of zebrawood. He liked it so much that he sold all of his other basses. The coolest part was when he let me play it for the entire lesson. :D

20. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    You aren't even sure how many you have, and you're talking aabout NEED? Cone on... get out there and CONSUME, willya?