Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got a Fender Bassman 400!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Only, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Brand new at half price!

My local store was trying to get rid of it to make space for more Peavey amps, since no one wanted to pay $1200 for a 2x10 combo bass amp.

So I got it for $635!!! After taxes!

Now, the question...There's no jack to wire up another external speaker, but I've heard rumors of a kit that can be ordered to do this...But I couldn't find anything on Fender's website.

Anyone know anything about that?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    do you know anything about electronics? mine is very basic, but if you can get a 1/4" jack that is air tight and some wires the same gauge as are attached to the current speaker I assume you'd drill the right size hole in the cab and solder another set of red and black or red and white (whatever the colors) from one of the internal speakers out to the jack. I think the "tip" of the incoming plug is positive, make sure that wire corresponds to the positive wire on the internal speaker. to be safe make sure you get a 8ohm or higher ohm cab as an external. the amp might be running at 4 ohm already and too low an ohm will overhead or blow the fuse or amp.

thats the way I understand it. there are probably ways to make the amp think its connected to a higher ohm cab by connecting a gizmo in the speaker wire circuit.

good luck, search the net for "cabinet wiring" or "cabinet modifications" etc....

if you have a friend who's into electronics ask them.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I read on a UK site that the 400 HAS a speaker out jack. its probably on the back, maybe back UP UNDER the back ledge if there is one.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/common/moreinfo.asp?ID=2004

if you have the 400 PRO even that says it has a jack?

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Well, technically it has a jack, but the internal speakers are hooked into it. From what I understand, the PRO (newer model) has another jack for an external cab.

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    There is a external speaker jack somewhere on there. My friend runs a Fender Bassman 400 into a Genz Benz 215-XB2. Holy cow. The sound he gets is so synthetic, as I like to call it. The band some mp3's that he recorded with a Stingray. Its one of the most jacked up bass sounds I've ever heard.

~~Patrick
    http://www.whileibreathe.cjb.net

ps: listen to the mp3 "While I Breathe, I Hope" from that site, and you'll get the idea.

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The bassman 400 runs at 4 ohms. The internal speakers are 4 ohms. No, you can't hook an extra cabinet up with the 2-10s. Unless you disconnect the internal speakers it will see a load of less than 4 ohms, a no no. That is why there is no external speaker jack on the amp and also the biggest drawback to that amp IMHO.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Bassman 400 is an awesome amp, but without external jacks to add a 2nd cab is the reason I didn't buy one.:bawl:

9. The older versions of the Bassman 400 combo did not come with the extenion speaker jack. The later versions DID come with an extenion speaker jack as does the all the new Bassman 400 Pro combos. Fender does, or did at one time, make a jack kit to retro-fit the older version.

Yes, the internal speakers are 4 ohm. The amp has "4 ohm minimum load" printed on the back. The owners manual for the 400 Pro indicates that the amp has a printed rating of 4 ohm minimum load so it can be sold in counties that only allow a 4 ohm minimum load by law. The manual also states this amp can safley be used with a 2 ohm total load AND Fender will warranty any damage as a result of using a 2 ohm load. Fender warranties these combos for five years. Fender also stated in a pre-NAMM release this summer that it plans to release a 4 ohm 15" extenion cabinet to be used with this combo. I think this can be read on the news releases at Harmony-Central. The plans for this extention cabinet was also confirmed by a post in "Ask Fender" at the forums at www.fenderforum.com. Although there were some changes made between the 400 & 400 Pro combos, the power amp section was not one of them.

Bottomline? I imagine the offical kit is a pain in the ass to get. I would install, or have a technician install, a 1/4" extention jack in parallel with the existing speaker jack.

Go for it - Good Luck.

I really like my Fender 400 Pro combo - GREAT sound.