Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got a five-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LZ678, Mar 6, 2004.

1. LZ678

LZ678

Dec 30, 2003
    Western New York
    Hey, I just got an EDA905 and I was wondering if you guys knew any good five-string songs. I play rock (Zeppelin, Sabbath, Metallica, Pantera) and enjoy using effects...I have a Bass PODxt...so, if you guys know anything, I'd be very grateful... ;)

Thanks

2. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I think you can use a fiver on some Zeppelin songs, actually - JPJ was playing one in a few concert shots from an old Zeppelin biography book I have. I know for sure that No Quarter makes use of the low B, but then again that wasn't recorded with a bass.

Try some 311 and Incubus, maybe... and Mudvayne, if that's your bag. I can't really think of many artists who use the five string creatively.

3. LZ678

LZ678

Dec 30, 2003
    Western New York
    Thanks. I'd check out No Quarter, it's one of my favorites, but I don't know any keyboardists who like rock.

4. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    EDA 905 is a great bass, Ive had it for 3 months now, youll love it. Best 5 string ive played/owned in forever. Wonderful tone.

5. LZ678

LZ678

Dec 30, 2003
    Western New York
    Yeah, I traded in my EDA900 for it. They're good basses.

6. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Robert T from Metallica play a 5 and a lot of the new bands coming out, Charlie Hayward from CDB, Leon Wilkeson from Lynyrd Skynyrd!

Take care
    TM

7. LZ678

LZ678

Dec 30, 2003
    Western New York
    Thanks, it would be good if St. Anger didn't suck...but some BLS might be cool...hmmm...

Thanks!

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The best thing you can do to get accustomed to playing a five-string is to play ALL the songs you know from four-string on it. Don't worry about finding songs that have the extra low notes in them-I've always said the biggest benefit of a B string isn't the five extra tones, it's the ability to make easily accessible fingering patters without having to use open notes or jump all over the neck.

9. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Is the EDA the one made of plastic with the pointy headstock? I think I know the bass you're all talking about.

10. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Fear Factory uses the low B a lot, as well as effects. I'm not sure if they use bass effects though :confused:

11. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Loads of bass effects. Listen to Edgecrusher for example. Or pretty much every other of their songs...