Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Got a Flea Bass w/ a Tremelo!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, May 16, 2004.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, I picked up a really cool bass at guitar center today. It's an older silver sparkle flea bass w/ a kahler tremelo! :bassist: It's sweet, here are some pics :)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Cool, bass man.

I went to my first GC yesterday, and it was everything I have heard about them. From the rockstar cliche of a guitarist blaring power chords followed by a shred solo through a Marshall on 11, to the poorly setup, beat-up instruments.

One upside was I finally got to try a Stringray; after wanting to play one forever, but the downside was the really loud untalented guitarist was playing so loud that I could only evaluate the bass on feel.

Glad you found something you liked though.

3. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Well GC is like a big Toys R Us for musicians. I go in there to look at the eye candy, play a few basses to see what they feel/sound like. I really haven't bought anything there besides strings and picks. Go during the week days and there are no teenage Metallica wannabe's attempting to shred. :bassist:

4. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Because theres never any bad flea or claypool wannabees cranking the newest mo'bass at ear splitting volume ever, right?

I'm more annoyed at the employees of my local GC, who are worse than the 'customers' in all the cliche GC ways... ugh

Troll

5. It appears that not only did your Flea bass come with a tremelo, but a Lane Poor pickup as well! Nice purchase!

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That...is an AWESOME buy. Great pick, I'd love to own that (esp. cause of the lane poor pup too).

7. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    the bass looks great in that color.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Very cool! Welcome to the EXTREMELY exclusive "Basses w/ Trems" club here on TB. I think it's just you, me, and one or two other dudes.

9. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, it's really fun to play around with :hyper: You can almost get a chorus effect on chords and string bends w/ the tremelo. You can also emulate that claypool 'clack' sound he gets on songs like Frizzle Fry. Fun stuff :bassist:

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i'd be more happy with the Lane Poor - maybe thats just me gassing tho. :D

11. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm not sure if it's a lane poor pickup or not. The small gold logo on the bottom right of the pickup is the modulus symbol. Any clarification here? It has the bartolini 2 band preamp if that helps at all. Regardless, it sounds great :hyper:

12. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Have you checked the intonation of the bass on a good tuner? That bridge has been modified.

13. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, I tweeked it after I took those pictures. Lots of loosening and tightening of screws, but now it's intonated perfectly :) Btw, after researching a bit, it is indeed a lane poor pickup. Glad to have the double rarity of a tremelo and that pickup in a single bass :)

14. Just saw this one on the Bay. What made you decide to let it go?

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    At the stores that I regularly visit, no.

16. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, i've decided it's not 'my tone' and I'll be able to probably get more for it than what I paid. It's an exceptional bass, and rare, but w/ all my other gear, I'm more of a dual pickup player. I have my eyes set on another lane poor equipped bass locally, but this one has dual soapbars! :hyper: I would definately prefer that setup I think. Different strokes for different folks :)

17. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    ok then..........i swear that i have seen that exact bass on google image search or some place like that :meh:

18. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Has the body been modified any to make the tremelo bar fit?

19. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I took a look underneath and there's like a half inch or so deep routed area that's a bit smaller than the size of a normal bridge. The bottom of the kahler trem has an area sticking out w/ 2 springs loaded on it.