Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got a free cab....what to do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkspec, Apr 9, 2004.

1. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Ok, heres the situation, My friend just gave me what I believe is a 2X15 Cab. I cant find any markings of who makes it or the kind of speakers installed. He treied to rewire it and said it didnt work, But I dont have a head to test this. The cab itself is in good shape, Just a lil dirty and scratched up. I was wondering if you all think it would be worth it to try to fix it up. I found a site to get parts from. (Corners, Carpet, Handles) Im guessin it would cost less the 100$ to make the cabniet itself look professional. But if speakers have to be replaced that may be a bit more pricey. Still, would a 2X15 be good for less then 300$?

Also I was wondering if anyone had and speaker recomendations? I was eyeing the eminece speaker that Dave from avatar speakers uses. It seems to be a Good speaker for what I need.

I was planing on upgrading my amp setup to a 1X15 and 4X10 this summer and I think this may be a great step....But I just wanted some advice/tips/help from anyone thats built or repaired a Cab before. Thanx guys, maybe I can get some pics of it soon.

2. Yeah, I think a 2 x 15 cab for under $300 is great, depending on what drivers it is loaded with.
    The drivers Dave use for Avatars are the KAPPA PRO LF, and these are very good drivers.
    If you use these, it should be great! ( :cool: IMO)

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I think $300 invested in a no name cab that you have no idea what it's going to sound like til you're done is too much, especially when there are brand name cabs on the used market going for that much. If you buy a brand name cab and don't like it you'll probably be able to get your money back, with a no name cab you're going to lose your shirt.

4. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Ditto my esteemed colleague's comments.

5. I mostly agree with needsmorebass. However, I think you can probably have a pretty decent cab for less than $200. Go to Parts Express, www.partsexpress.com and you can buy all the stuff you need. Handles, corners, and some covering should be less than $50. Then get a pair of Eminence Delta 15's, I realize they're not as good as the Kappa's but they're half the price. (And are you sure the existing speakers are shot?) Parts Express also has wiring diagrams. (how on earth can you screw up wiring a 2 speaker cab.....) Measure the cutout diameter and you can confirm it's a 15 inch speaker.

Still, though, are you sure you want to lug around a refrigerator to every gig? Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of a 2x15 (I have 3 of them, a Fender Bassman, a Sunn, and a Kustom tuck and roll) but they are BIG and HEAVY.

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Just buying a pair of speakers off the shelf and throwing them in a cab is like rolling the dice without knowing anything about the specs of the speaker and the cab and knowing if they are compatible. Chances are if this cab has no name on it then it is probably not a well designed cab to begin with. There are many modern designed cabs on the used market at very reasonable prices. If it were me I'd buy a couple of used Peavey Black Widows for $50 each and do nothing else. Anything more than $100 invested doesn't make any sense to me.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This idea makes more sense (not that the others were nonsensical). It is a bit of a crap shoot, since you don't know how the cab is tuned. But you guys already said all that.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Darkspec...can you post a picture or two?

9. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Ok, I wanna do this as more of a learning session then a genuine investment in gear. At the very worst if it doesnt sound good Ill buy a speaker box and make some giant subs for my room. No biggie to me....

Ill have pics as soon as I can get them, Need to get my friends digi-cam.

10. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    After looking at some 2X15's mentioned above, My cab looks exactly like the Kustom Tuck n Roll without the retro stuff on the outside. Maybe someone removed it? IDK.....ill get some dimensions at practice tonight.