1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just got a gig, now all I need is the band!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Zane DeBord, May 19, 2017.

1. Zane DeBord

Zane DeBord Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    Tl;dr I recorded some music this year at school and now that I'm back home, I used it to get a gig before I got a band together at home to play the music. Now I have 2 weeks to get a band together and teach them the material.

I write a lot of music, and I was tired of not having a record of it all. So this past year, while at school in California, I got some of my friends together, and we went into the campus studio to record. And it went great! So great, that I did it twice! But alas, the summer came before I had a chance to make it a hat trick.

But now I'm home in Chicago. And I'm on the prowl for playing opportunities. So I do what anyone else would do, and look for gigs on facebook. I see that a beatles cover band it looking for an opener for their show. I message the guy, asking if my modern jazz fusion trio could do it, send him the recordings, and I actually get the gig!

Great! It's on june 2nd. Great! And I don't actually have a group of people who know the material. Oh. Not great. So now, I'm calling every drummer and sax player I know, just trying to get a group for this show. The music isn't too hard, and I have nice clean charts with all the parts, so I'm sure I'll be fine. But boy, am I stressed about the time constraint.

2. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.

I'm not entirely sure "what anyone else would do" is chase gigs with an imaginary and totally non-existant jazz trio!
    Glad you got the spot though, and I hope you find your players and have a great show.

Zane DeBord likes this.
  3. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

You booked a band that doesn't exist, and you have two weeks to make it materialize, rehearse it, and play publicly without crashing and burning.

I wish you all the best. Sounds more than a little cart-before-horse-esque to me.

Maybe you should play to your own backing tracks instead?

4. Zane DeBord

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    Honestly, I've done more elaborate music in less time, so the only real issue is finding the cats to play it. I was pretty nervous when I typed this OP, but I feel a bit better after ranting about it.

MattZilla and Oddly like this.
  5. Zane DeBord

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    Oh, it exists! Just not yet ;)

Skeezix and Oddly like this.
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I say good for you for diving in head-first. And it's not like you're in the back woods somewhere, you're in a big city, I'm sure there are plenty of musicians around who can jump in. Good luck!

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The questions is how much does it pay? Sure, finding good a couple guys in a big city when you can give them $500 each to rehearse once and play the gig won't be a problem. Finding a couple of strangers who want to help our friend here out of a tough spot and spend days locking down music and play a gig for little or no money might be.... challenging.

Hotblack, btmpancake, jive1 and 5 others like this.
  8. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

if you've got good charts: call the union local, or go to the green mill or jazz showcase (plenty of local cats hanging).

in chicago: one phone call should get you enough info to make other phone calls....

TheBear likes this.
  9. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Never thought of that but calling the union hall is probably a very good idea for a circumstance such as this! (assuming you have some money or getting paid a decent wage for the gig)

10. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I think you'll be fine since you have everything charted and it is jazz. If this were a top 40 band attempt, I may have a different opinion. Plus, sounds like you're on school break and probably not working. So you do not have a 40 hour per week job getting in the way of making this happen. You may not make money, due to paying your band to rehearse and do the show.

So what? You did more in a day than most on this board do in years. You got a gig. All the other stories we hear of folks playing in a basement for two years getting the set list ready, firing three drummers, and then complaining that they can't get gigs.

Good Luck OP!

11. This sounds like the script for a Will Ferrell Movie!
    I LIKE IT!

12. Zane DeBord

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    Found the guitarist and drummer (had to go with second choice drummer, but he's still killin), now I'm just waiting to hear back from the horn player. :bassist:

TheBear, BaileyMan, twinjet and 3 others like this.
  13. 74hc

74hc Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Risky, but what the heck. If it crashes and burns, and damages the reputation, you can always do the cruise ship gig circuit. There were always flyers for cruise ship auditions at the college I went to.

If it works out well, you can avoid that circuit. Are you in the fellowship program for Brubeck at UOP?

14. Zane DeBord

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    Just wrapped up my second (and final) year there.

15. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    It's Chicago. Band should be ready to rehearse by 5pm. Let me know if you need help locating a drummer. Throw a rock if you need a guitarist.

16. 74hc

74hc Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Congrats on that. It's a good feather in your cap. What are your plans afterwards, UOP or ?

17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    This is one time to probably not fire the drummer.

TheBear, MYLOWFREQ, japhy4529 and 2 others like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    That's why they call it improvisation... Good luck, Zane...

Zane DeBord and Oddly like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I know a couple of guys...

The-Blues-Brothers%201_lg.

Linnin, StudioGC, Spectrum and 7 others like this.
  20. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Watch yer butt get signed to a deal off this .....what!! ...it could happen !!!

hrodbert696 likes this.