Just got a mac.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MiniMoose234, Sep 5, 2010.

1. As much as i hate being in the trendy group i hated my old laptop so much I got a macbook pro.
    Im actually really liking it. Getting logic or whatever the music recording thing is called to go along with Garageband soon so i'll finally be able to record stuff. Just coming to tell/warn/attract violence from tb :p

2. Congrats. For browser testing and general use I keep both macs and pc's in my home but I vastly prefer OS X from a usability standpoint. The hardware is hella expensive but I guess that's the price we have to pay.

3. Macbooks are nice. I use my wife's macbook to record demos (with Garageband). My cheapo Lenovo has latency issues so it is unusable for recording.

If you don't really need the additional features in Logic, it might be a better idea to get a (hardware) audio interface.

4. Congratz. I'm sure by tomorrow this thread will be full of Mac haters though, lol.You've got yourself a fine machine and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I recommend getting 4GBs of ram and a nice 7200rpm HDD if you don't already have it the improvements are quite nice :)

I'm running Ableton Live 8 and soon Logic Studio 9. I just got them so I actually have next to know idea how to use them right now but I plan on learning!

5. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Macs SUX

6. Im hopefully going to get a 1/4 to 1/8 converter and gonna start recording tomorrow. Finally get some ideas recorded with my guitarist friend.
    Ive got a decent PC to use if i need it. But I love how the mac runs. Still kinda alien, i got it a few hours ago.
    And yeah, Ive already got my bro mad i got a mac. The haters on both sides get annoying lol

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I've used nothing but Mac since 1986 - except for the 2 years I was forced to use a PC at work. They are great.

8. The only problem with this is most macbooks only have one 1/8" audio port. You can switch it between input and output but it is less than ideal for recording in that you can't set up a monitor other than your laptop speakers.

9. yeah i thought about that. Is there any other way to record?

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is what I run too. I have a MOTU 8pre for my interface also. I've been thinking I should get Logic, but I'm just not seeing enough of a need to justify the purchase. Just curious. What are your needs with Logic, that can't be handled by Live?

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I run a Macbook Pro with Cubase for recording. I have Logic studio as well, but found it took up a lot of disk space and I still prefer Cubase, since I never bothered to learn a whole new software platform.

I also use MOTU 8-Pre, but have two of them chained and a aggregate driver to record 16 tracks live.

12. Seems a few people have been getting macs recently. I'm still loving mine.

13. Honestly? None whatsoever :D. But I got a bit of money recently and they aren't nearly as brutally priced at my schools bookstores so I got 'em both. I guess if I actually get heavy into it I'd be using Live for well... live stuff and Logic for working out full songs, mixing and mastering and the whole studio dealie. I've always wanted to learn how to use both so at the very least I'd have them under my belt.

I'm using a Echo AudioFire4 as my interface and I'm hoping that it'll be fine until I want to record a band or something. So far it performs and sounds great when I've used it for personal practice.

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    For audio stuff, macs are amazing. I have a interface that will not work on linux, needs drivers on a PC but is plug and play on a mac - with no latency issues.

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Dude, Live is just such a powerful tool and so seamlessly able to jump from live to studio work, that I dare say you do not need Logic.

Also, not enough people give Garageband enough credit as a powerful creation software. Extremely versatile, and powerful.

16. If this turns out to be the case I won't be disappointed. I've spent more money on more pointless things, lol :p.

I've got a handful of VSTs but my favorite so far is Addictive Drums! Holy crap they sound good!!! If I turn out to be any kind of half-decent keyboard drummer it will be entirely thanks to this plugin.

17. Congratulations. Some may say it's trendy but I say it's about getting
    the job done with minimal pain. Macs are great for that.

I'm using Logic Pro and loving it. And I just picked up a Presonus FireStudio Project
    which appears to be very similar to the MOTU 8pre used by others here.

Are any of you MOTU 8pre users using that for mixer/effects for live
    performances? ...or strictly for recordings to be post-processed?
    I'm just curious what your live settings might look like (e.g. how you
    configure it for use with monitors and PA amplifiers). I'm sure I could
    do this but I'm wondering if there may be a strategy for doing this
    efficiently (what it's all about -- refer to paragraph 1).

18. The reason I say its trendy is because at my school people get macs, put microsoft office on them and use them just for facebooking and youtube and web surfing. THey dont utilize what macs are capable of as far as movie making and editing and music and stuff, and Its just a status symbol, that you can afford one. So people that use them seriously get judged because its a mac.
    Sooo yeah :D
    Sounds like between homework and figuring out what recording stuff i need is gonna be taking up a lot of my time haha

19. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    People like that are one of the reason people don't like mac fans. If you use it it isn't useless.

20. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    End of story

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021