Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just got a new american fender P

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by cone, Jan 6, 2002.

1. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    Georgia
    hey, i just got a new P and it only has 1 tone knob, brighter and more meloncally i think, i was wondering what kind you use mostly

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

do you mean to ask about the bass I play mostly now? I use a modified mid-60s gibson eb-3, it has a short-scale neck and it's easier on my hands (a problem w/stretching as I've gotten older). I put in a bartolini active pre-amp (though the pickups themselves are passive) that has three tone controls: one for bass, one for treble and one that's for mids that can be adjusted to operate at three frequencies (via a small three-way toggle): 200, 400 or 800 hz. I like to add mids to increase the growl and nasal quality of my bass tone, depending on the tune and the situation.

I think the tone control on your bass is a passive one that just rolls off treble as it's brought in. full clockwise makes it like it's not even there. just the opposite kills all the highs and lets only low through to your amp.

hope this helps.

on bass, watt

3. I read about it on bass player...man, do i wish for something like that!