Just got a new bass! - Need advice on an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by proc83, Jan 18, 2005.

1. proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    I've been reading these forums for a while now, and finally decided to register. Just recently (2 days ago) I upgraded my bass from an Ibanez SR300DX to an Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray 4. This was a huge jump for me, and maybe unecessary as I don't play gigs or anything (I've only been playing bass for about a year, it was my first musical instrument, and I just jam with my friends, a drummer and a guitarist) but I'm a very impulsive type of person and I read so many good things about the stingray, and it sounded and played so great that I had to buy one. Anyways, the point of this post (besides sharing my excitement with you all) is I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with a stingray could share information about a good, cheap (under 300) combo amp that sounds good with it. I still have my Ibanez SW35 amp, and I really feel the need to upgrade it, as I'm thinking it probably doesn't do the stingray any justice. The amp/cab I played the stingray with at the guitar center was over a 1000...I thought it was the stingray that sounded so great, but it probably was a combination of the stingray and the amp that made me love it so much. Thanks for any input!
  2. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Necessary and gear do not equate
  3. proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    Just looking for info about a good amp please
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Save up a little moola and get an Ampeg B100r combo. If you really wanted an amp for under $300, talk to me about buying my old Ampeg B100r. Its not in great cosmetic shape, but it sounds ace, and i would sell it for probably 50% of what they go for new. Lemme know if you're interested, PM would be prefereable, but you can email me at figbass14@yahoo.com also or just lemme know in this thread and i might see it.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So you really need advice on a new amp, eh? I edited the thread title and I am moving this to the Amps forum, where you are bound to get lots of suggestions.
  6. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Like another thread in here I would reccomend an Ashdown combo for a good mid-range combo.

You can get a full head/cab mix for under $~700 if you try hard enough. I got a Hartke 5000 for $300 and an Avatar 4x10 for around $450.

I have built up like you have from a cheapo Rouge 50watt amp (puke), to a GK Backline 115 to my current rig.

Now I'm going through GAS...so who knows whats next...
  7. proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm just a broke college student so money is a verrry critical factor for me (i just blew a couple months of rent on getting that stingray, Lol). Spending 700 on an amp is kinda out of my league atm... That B100R is easier on my conscience.
  8. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'll second the B-100R suggestion. I've got one and a Stingray and it sounds killer. A great combination.
  9. Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    when i bought my stingray 4, i got an Ampeg SVT 3 PRO head at 350 watts, and a 610HLF Cab. they're awesome together.