Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got a new Ritter gig bag !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, May 6, 2004.

1. Just scored a brand new RG 9000 for 52 bucks after S/H (retail is 179)

I'm a happy person, because my case broke (all of the latches fell off lol)

2. Yeah, I saw those on eBay last week. So......what's the verdict? I've read mixed reviews on them.

Randy

3. tell ya in a week or so...as long as it's padded and will shut and stay shut without duct tape I'll be happy :)

4. Aw c'mon.......gimme a hint. ;)

How about a quick first impression?

Randy

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    He probably hasn't even gotten it yet :)

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I had a Ritter Starpack for a while - it offered nice protection, pretty decent basic design except for the straps and gave others lots of fodder for "golf bag" jokes

Mike :D

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I like mine a lot. Holding up quite well for over a year.

8. Duh......you're probably right. :oops:

Mike......you said that you HAD one, and that it was a good "basic design".

Why did you not keep it? (or are you using it on the links now? :D )

Also, isn't the Starpak one of the higher end models? But you described it as "basic". Did you want more pockets, or what?
    What didn't you like about the straps?

I'm thinking about getting one of the ones on eBay, if still available.

Thanks for your help.

Randy

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I had a Ritter bag for about 18 months now and have been very satisfied with it. I've got a headless bass and so the bag I'm using is actually designed for a dreadnought style guitar - plenty of space inside if I want to use a second bag for extra protection and enough pocket room to take all the bits I need for most situations.

I normally wear it on my back and haven't had any problems with the straps so far. It seems like a quality piece of work and I'm a happy customer.

Wulf

10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I just got mine off ebay too - $46 shipped. This is also a (new) RG9000-B like learning_towalk's. So I read the description (which was lifted right off the Ritter website) and go for it. The bag comes and looks like it should...almost. When I went through the description again I found a bunch of discrepencies - padding wasn't as thick (20mm vs 30mm), different zipper layout (and different zipper pulls), no detachable phone pouch, no MP3 player pouch, shoulder straps not fully padded as shown.....

So I wrote to Ritter. Lo and behold it is a RG9000 - but from the discontinued 2001-2002 collection which has since been upgraded to what's on the web. They no longer show these because they stopped making them. It's still a very decent bag - I'm going to keep it because I do think it's a good deal.
    But it's not what's shown - keep this in mind....

P.S. Ritter's suggested retail for the RG9000 is $139.99.
    http://www.ritter-bags.com/revoluti...family=music&group=Revolution&level=10&page=1

11. Sounds like the seller is doing a little deceptive advertising.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be avoiding this seller.
    I try to be as accurate as possible on eBay descriptions, but he's obviously unconcerned with accuracy and more concerned with his clearance sale. I'd rather pay retail than deal with that type of person........but that's just me.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Randy

12. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    An update to my previous post - the original retail on the discontinued RG9000 bag was $119.99 (per Ritter - they are great. Got back to me very quickly). I am going to keep it anyway because I still think it's a good bag for a good deal.

I have email in to the seller, waiting for an answer. She did list the bag as a discontinued model.

Giving the benefit of the doubt (because the seller's rating is 99.8% across 12372 transactions after all), I can see how this may have happened. The outward appearance of this bag does match the current model, and only scrutiny will show the discrepencies in a comparison. They are correctly labeled as RG9000 (which is the same as the current model).
    Going to the Ritter website gives only current (upgraded model) specs and picture. No doubt a snafu but I don't feel it was a hustle. Again, it is brand new and it's a real nice, well made bag for a reasonable price ($37 before shipping). Even with the discrepencies I don't think I got ripped off.

But you're right, they should have been more careful, just for their own sake...

Will

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    ehemm......you guys realize you're talking about a gig bag right?:smug:

14. Now all you need is a Ritter to go in it! :D

15. Yep..........so I guess it doesn't matter if you tell the truth, right? :meh:

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

I guess:D

17. well it sucks that they're not technically selling what's advertised....but if it's well padded and will hold my bass I'll be happy :)

i'm easy to please

18. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    so... which one of you stole this bag out from under my nose on ebay?? (37.99 +shipping and handling?) I was hoping to get a steal at $36. :crying:

19. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    I bought one of the RG 4000 bags from e-bay a few months ago (probably the same seller from your descriptions of how the current auction is worded, the seller listed a completely different List Price than what the Ritter website listed) and I am happy with the purchase. It hasn't seen any actual use other than storing a backup bass at my house, but i can tell it will do it's main job quite well. I am not too happy with most of Ritter's color schemes on some of their bags, but I really like this one with a tan "leather" type of trim color accents over black. It has plenty of pockets and storage area and seemingly enough padding to get to and from a gig without inncident (of course I wouldn't want to drop any bag down a flight of steps or step on it directly) but under normal circumstances, it should do it's job. The straps seem sturdy and comfy enough to throw on your back for transporting and not have to worry about dropping loose. As with most new bags the strap latches and swivels are made of a nylon material.

Definitely a great buy for the e-bay selling prices.

[​IMG]

20. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have an update regarding the bag I got. The seller was willing to accept a return and from what I gather believes she was selling what was advertised.

I told her I was keeping the bag but would refrain from posting any feedback - I didn't want to impact her rating in a negative way because I believe this was not a deliberate scam. On the other hand, more research on the seller's part was in order.

IMO, if anybody sees these bags (RG9000 model) on the bay and can snag one for less than $40, do it. It's still a really nice bag for the money.