1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got a new Skyline 55-01, wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Well I needed a 5 string as my 6er's are just to much bare these days and I really dont use that darn high C string that much! So, Ive been looking at some used MM SR5's and G&L L2500's, but nothing was a bargin and the one's I was coming across just didnt seem to do it for me.
    Then I started to look into the skyline stuff and settled on a brand new 55-01 with soap bars for $750 out the door! What a steal, this bass feels every bit as good as the MM and G&L basses I was checking out and even balanced better, which is a big deal to me lately for those long 3 set nights and effortless movement up and down the neck. This bass is sick!
    My only issue, which Ive read hear as well, is the pre-amp in these things. I have a cheapy SR496 that I put emg pups and BQS system in and was thinking of maybe pulling the BQS preamp out and putting it my 55-01, will it really make that big of a difference? dont want to do it unless I get an overwhelming "doit" from you guys. I wont know how this bass sounds until we practice in a week or so, but I usually like to keep everything flat on the bass except for rolling off the highs and using my amp eq more.

Thanks for any info, by one (so far) happy camper!

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    no pics, no bass.:D

3. Yeah I know! :) Ill have em in the morning. Its basically the black sunburst with maple neck.

4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Allegedly. :ninja:

5. doit...DOIT!! :D

6. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Endorsing Artist: Gr Bass, Pyramid Strings, MPE Audio
    great man ! :D

lots of great tunes ;)

7. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA

It's sounds like you need to hear it before you worry about swapping preamps. It shouldn't be an "issue" to you until you've heard it and decided it isn't working for you. I've had 2 basse with that preamp and it sound fine stock. For you that may not be the case, but at least give yourself a chance at your own opinion, using your ears and not the opinion of someone else's ears.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Check for an Aguilar OPB-3. I have one in my Stingray5 and it made it sound much more clear and refined w/o loosing the MM punch.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021