Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got a new Stingray 4.... should I keep it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Feb 12, 2001.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I was in GC yesterday and came upon a brand new Stingray: sunburst finish, rosewood board, tortoise shell pickguard. Exactly the one I would buy if I were to buy a 'ray. It even has a birdseye maple neck... So I tested it out and it was nice. My friend wanted to leave so I asked the guy if I could put it on layaway 'cuz if I did want it, I didn't want all the flea-a-be's whackin away at it. But he wouldn't do it. Yada yada yada, make a long story short, I now own it. But I'm debating on whether or not I should keep it, 'cuz it did cost a lot of money and I'm not really sure if it's "THEE" bass. What do you think I should do?

Thanks,
    David

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

David, you have 30 days to decide, I say play the crap out of it and if it doens't grow on you, take it back. Just don't bang it up.

They wouldn't let you put it in layaway? Why not? I think that the guy was bluffing, they even let you put used stuff in layaway, unless it is on consignment.

I have bought several items at GC that way, from cheap stuff to pretty expensive stuff that was on sale 40% off. Particularly my Pedulla Rapture J2 5 string, which listed for $1995, I got it for $1299 in layaway, and the day I picked it up, I talked them down another $130 to $1169.

3. like embellisher said play it and see if it is THE bass for you. how much did they hit you for it.

you could all ways give it back and search for a used one, save a little cash.

4. Last Call Playa

Last Call Playa

Feb 12, 2001
    Stingrays are sweet, but if you are asking us if it's THE bass for you I'll tell you right now ... it isn't or you wouldn't be asking us.

5. Dave,
    I think you should buy my Rumblefish! ;)

6. I'm gonna have to agree with Last Call on this one. I mean, it's true, it was the THE bass, then you wouldn't have to have anyone elses opinion on the matter. Though try it out and during those 30 days, take a look around, maybe you'll find the bass for you.

7. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Is there a Stingray shortage I don't know about? I don't even know where to begin with this one.

8. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Stingrays are backordered about a year. Its almost impossible to find the exact one that you want. I'm loving this bass more and more each day, I can't even pick up my old bass without wanting to put it down and start playing the 'Ray again. It has the tone I've been trying to get for the longest time. I'm still considering whether or not I'm going to return it cuz its price might burn too big of a hole in my pocket.

(Dave Siff - I played a Rumblefish the other day but it was really out of tune and had a crooked neck, but the guy claimed it was because of humidity and temperature and that it was professionally set up before. Have you had this happen?)

9. who told you that bit of info, every place i have talked to has promised me a stingray at my specs in about 90 days.

10. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga

The guy at GC told me, as well as a guy from Bass Central a little while back. They said they get them about every 2 months but they are ones they ordered a long time ago and that if I wanted a specific color/pickguard/fretboard/etc it would take a looooong time.

11. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    same here. i heard 3 to 4 months on a color neck pickguard comination that i wanted.

dave

12. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    comBination.

sorry, i should really preview my posts more.
    dave

13. The guy at GC told me, as well as a guy from Bass Central a little while back. They said they get them about every 2 months but they are ones they ordered a long time ago and that if I wanted a specific color/pickguard/fretboard/etc it would take a looooong time.

~~
    yea i think it is what you would call a "the check is in the mail issue"

or the hmm should i wait for the commission or get it sooner.

did it come with a case? i am guessing seeing that we are dealing with GC it didn't

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    But it's a four-string.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Count ye not to five, and six is right out. Neither count ye to three, lest ye proceed immediately to four. Four shall be the counting of the strings, and the number of the strings shall be four.

17. yes yes so the number shall be four, yes four